Working Hours?

scotty

Ultimate Member
I'm sat at my desk working (as usual) and I got to wondering how many hours I actually work on average in any given week.
For me, I'm working a full time gig at the moment (40hrs) and freelancing in the evening and weekends.
I took the in house to get a reliable wage while my wife studies which is over soon. WOO!
I reckon I must be doing well over 80hrs and recently had to work a 36 hour stint with no sleep or breaks.
How about you? anyone else killing themselves with design?

Hard to say really. In an ideal world I'd like to be doing around 30-40 hours a week.
As it stands I probably do around 20 at the moment.

I work when I have work to do... as a freelancer work can fluctuate so if I can fit the work in I do the work because to put it simply you never really guarantee when that next job is coming in.

As a rule though I base my work 'shift' around an 8-10 hour day (including breaks) but when my work requires rendering I'll extend it so I can 'start that render before bed'. Then I'll trundle off to bed and look at the render the next day in the morning.
When I'm doing my cad work, ie modelling or setting up the scene for rendering, there isn't a lot I can physically do except monitor the render/pc's so I'm able to get rest in then if I'm pushing my limits of caffeine intake lol.

If I'm doing graphic work then it's a little different.

The higher the pay, the more I would be willing to do.
Since my pay is not that good right now, I spend more time on my own projects, either way I am working on something most of my waking hours.

My working hours fluctuate quite heavily. When I've got lots of work on I can quite easily be doing 60 hours a week, sometimes more, some times less. I haven't done a 36 hour stint yet though! What project was that for Scotty?

Since I freelance full time, I make sure to put in at least 8 hours a day even if all I have is personal projects, because the passion projects will bring in the sort of work I want to continue doing.

I'm putting in 9-5 or 9-6 every weekday and a couple of hours on night times and weekends currently. If I'm not doing paid client work, I'm working on self-promotion, Design Forums, meetings and other things.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
My working hours fluctuate quite heavily. When I've got lots of work on I can quite easily be doing 60 hours a week, sometimes more, some times less. I haven't done a 36 hour stint yet though! What project was that for Scotty?
It was for Disney Sean. A mega rush project.
I've actually earned the title "The King Of The Shitty Shift".
True :rolleyes:

Oh dear haha. You'd think larger companies would have the organisational capabilities and resources to not have to rely on rush jobs? How do you find the distribution of well organised projects to rush jobs with these larger companies Scotty?

I work from 6am to 7pm Monday through to Friday, loads of work on at the moment! On a quieter day, its more like 8am to 6pm.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Oh dear haha. You'd think larger companies would have the organisational capabilities and resources to not have to rely on rush jobs? How do you find the distribution of well organised projects to rush jobs with these larger companies Scotty?

All rush mate. You wouldn't think so.

Standard 35 hour week for me which im thankful for as i may die if it involved a 6am - 7pm shift :blink:

Back