Working Hours

Tony Hardy said:
I guess the only real "downtime" is when you turn the phones off and leave the country for a week or two haha!
Yes I think that's about right Tony - when I worked full-time a holiday abroad was the only time I could forget about work...

- David

No set working hours, no downtime. 24x7 I am there for my clients, with somebody to cover whilst I am sleeping. Without my clients I would not have my business, so I treasure them and am prepared to have time for all of them night and day.

shaunlynn said:
Ha coming back to this over a year after my initial post.

Nowadays, I'm at my desk anywhere between 8am and 10am, work until noon, go skate/workout until 2, come home and shower, back to desk at 3 and work until 10pm and later.

I'm working on getting on a better set schedule that ideally will be up at 6am to workout, at desk around 8, rink at noon, back to desk around 1:30-2 and then work until I'm done for the day.
That's a fantastic arrangement that works for you. But if I get a client ring up who's just secured a great deal on a last-minute press ad submission and the paper needs artwork by 12noon and it's 11.30am now, and in half an hour the ad needs to be produced, submitted to the client, amends made, re-submit, gain approval, create press-ready file and send to its end destination, there's no option but to get it done if I want to keep the client long enough to handle it again the next time it happens. It happens a lot. Let's face it - if I worked to your régime, I wouldn't be around to do it. Frustrated client. Paper gets another company to take up said cheap spot in the paper. Could be a competitor - then they'd REALLY blow their top. Workable for you - completely unworkable for the majority of us, I'd imagine. Ultimately, CERTAINLY unworkable for me. Nearly four years without a day off reflects my situation. It's sh*tty, but necessary...

The Simulator said:
I think I've moved onto a 'when I can be arsed' approach these days.
no no no, what you've done is moved to a 'work when you're most creative/productive' approach, similar to me.

For me there is simply no point working on something when I know I'm not going to be productive (you all know the feeling) because to put it simply I won't get much done.

Back