Working from two different locations using the same data.

peterpaz

Hello

For years I've wondered if I could work from two different locations but use a 'mirrored' hard drive.

Here's the scenario
I have a small design studio in the North or England in which I use a Mac Pro set-up. This is linked to the internet using BT infinity. (between 50-70Mb speed)

I also have an apartment in Spain (that I like to visit from time to time) with another Mac Pro set-up linked via a 20-30Mb speed broadband package.

My question is:
Is it possible to 'mirror' both Mac Pro hard drives? - so when I get to spain, everything on the UK studio Mac Pro is available on the mac Pro there.

Perhaps the 'mirroring' could take place over night via the internet or a Cloud based system could somehow be used?

Anyone got any experience doing a similar thing?... or anyone got any good ideas how this could work?

Thanks to anyone who replies.
Peter

I use Dropbox and Google Drive -

Files are available anywhere in the world I have those available.

Just save your files to the Drop Box and Google Drive folders in your documents folder.

...or get yourself a NAS Server, Synology do some good ones, you can access this from wherever you are.

Boss Hog - tell me more please?
How do these work. What would be a typical set-up?
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm a designer that tries not to get too heavily involved with IT cos I'm so busy designing.

Cheers!
Peter

Hi Hank

Im very wary of using online services. I know dropbox works ok for transferring odd files and folders of files to clients and visa versa, but I find it a tad confusing and not sure if it'll be a good app to mirror say a 1GB HD. I know nothing about Google Drive and have never heard of it TBH.

Cheers for the suggestion, I'll look at Google Drive.

Hi Hank

Im very wary of using online services. I know dropbox works ok for transferring odd files and folders of files to clients and visa versa, but I find it a tad confusing and not sure if it'll be a good app to mirror say a 1GB HD. I know nothing about Google Drive and have never heard of it TBH.

Cheers for the suggestion, I'll look at Google Drive.

Sorry, I meant 1TB

UPDATE
I've taken a look at Google Drive and don;t think it'll be good for my quest.
I don't want to work from a 'Cloud' (remote drive or server). I want someway of mirroring drives in two different locations. So basically all the same email, fonts, applications, utilities, current work etc are available on the two Macs.

I don't expect this to mirror say every 15 mins.... an over-night update between the two Macs would be fine.

I did a quick search on the internet for "mirror drives remotely" and got a whole host of support files from Windows and Mac on how to do both.

Boss Hog - tell me more please?
How do these work. What would be a typical set-up?
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm a designer that tries not to get too heavily involved with IT cos I'm so busy designing.

Cheers!
Peter

This is what I use https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/DS214+#overview

...basically it's another drive which you can access from anywhere, (although they allow you to do loads more than that)

Hi Boss Hog
I didn't want to work on a server over the internet because of speed and connectivity. Yes, you could download the work files, but I think a better solution for me would be to do a 'mirror' of the two Macs.

I'm going to try ChronoSync on two macs in the studio (hopefully this week if I don't get bombed out with work).
If that goes well, I'll transport one of the Macs to my house and try it there. Then if all goes well (and I get the hang of how it all works), this should work anywhere int he world - obviously I'll need to check if this all works with a time zone difference too.

Thanks for your help
Peter

I know you have said you prefer not to use online solutions but I use www.copy.com and it works brilliantly. It's relatively cheap for just 250 gig.

Thanks for the suggestion. Trying out ChronaSyn at the moment. Works very well do far on two macs networked. It does bidirectional synchronisation which is the method I want. EG: two macs recognising files which have been created or altered on each machine and updating on both. Gonna take one of the mac out of the studio and home soon to see how it fairs over the Internet.

Licence for the software is 40 dollars so it's cheap as chips for what it does!

Back