Working Digitally - Help Please

Glindsey

Hi, I'm new to this forum, can anyone give me some advice?

I have been working as an illustrator for many years and want to explore working digitally. I have considered an iPad Pro with Procreate and the Apple pen, is this good? I am used to using Photoshop, which isn't great on an iPad, does anyone know of a way of working in Photoshop using a screen you can draw directly onto ( I am not sure about looking at a different screen while drawing on a tablet) - what equipment is best and not too pricy? Any advice/ suggestions on working digitally would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks, I think my question was a bit long winded, my main question is what is the best screen to work directly onto , or do most illustrators draw onto a Wacom style tablet while looking at a screen? Thanks

I tend to work on a Wacom and look at the screen , but it has it limitations and I get the feeling I may be falling behind a little. I did look at the price of a direct to draw on screen, holy moly pricey!

It really depends on your own preference. I see a fair few people using iPads because they can use it for other stuff too – web browsing, watching videos, a mobile portfolio, etc. The main selling point is that you can draw where you look, though an external graphics tablet is considerably cheaper.

You can also look into something like a reMarkable. Draw on a paper-like surface and save the data digitally.

It really depends on your own preference. I see a fair few people using iPads because they can use it for other stuff too – web browsing, watching videos, a mobile portfolio, etc. The main selling point is that you can draw where you look, though an external graphics tablet is considerably cheaper.

You can also look into something like a reMarkable. Draw on a paper-like surface and save the data digitally.
Totally agree with Paul, I would love to use one for photoshop artworks but I spend a lot of time in Illustrator working with curves, not sure a digital tablet would be any good for that?

Totally agree with Paul, I would love to use one for photoshop artworks but I spend a lot of time in Illustrator working with curves, not sure a digital tablet would be any good for that?

I tend to use vectors (Ai) and I've found a Cintiq doesn't help me too much but I guess it's the way I work.
If you use the pencil tool with brushes in a more fluid, drawing kind of way then they can be very good and it speeds up your work flow no end.

I just don't work that way hence why it's sat in a cupboard. ;)

I found a regular Wacom works much better for me.

If you can afford a Cintiq that's your best option for Photoshop I'd say. If portability is a priority I have it on good authority that iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil is a very good alternative, regardless of which app you choose to draw in. Many can export to .psd as well.

I've started using illustrator on the Cintiq and I find it works quite nicely, easier to create looser styles than with a mouse. I've also been using this bit of software a lot more recently too.
It even has fills that look like Letratone!

Back