Work Placement Help

Rozzie

Hi there!
My name is Rozzie and I am currently in my third year of a Digital Art degree in Scotland. This semester I have a "work related learning" module which means I must find myself a work placement in order to pass the module. I have a problem however as I need to stand out from the crowd. There are 3 universities and 3 colleges all looking for work placements at the same time, all within the creative industry. I know for a fact that there are over 100 in my university alone.

I have tried thinking outside the box with this. I have offered 3D walk through services for small landscape companies for free, However no one has expressed any interest. I am good at what I do, however the competition is fierce. I am writing to ask people who have had far more experience in this to offer me advice on how to stand out. I heard some people tell me that letters just get thrown out without any notice etc. I have not had much experience in the work environment so my CV is rather thin. I would be so grateful for any help you can offer me! Thank you in advance!

Rozzie

No letters.
Find and target the 3/4 companies that you think will have an affinity with YOU, not who you would like.
Then find out the CD's name and butter up the receptionist to give you some info on him/her, then send them a pizza or cream donut or something that indicates that there is a working thinking brain at work.
It's not about a CV it's about you and why they should invest their time in you.
Make them an offer they can't say no to. Good luck

I will do this Berry XD! We were told not to do this by lecturer's because it came across as "stalkerish" but I am more inclined to take your advice. So many people are sending out letters and this is a fantastic way to get noticed. XD. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow! Wish me luck! XD x

Lecturers know jot all about the real world and getting a job. Their job is to get you a degree, that's all.
A degree will not get you a job. You will get you a job. Good luck and happy hunting.

Berry said:
No letters.
Find and target the 3/4 companies that you think will have an affinity with YOU, not who

I was trying to fathom what the three quarter companies were then for a moment!

I'm going to be in this boat next semester. Have you ever been woo'd by the fast food approach Berry?

wac said:
I'm going to be in this boat next semester. Have you ever been woo'd by the fast food approach Berry?

Let's just say in 35 years I have never been woo'd by a letter.

Create separation from the flock. Nice guys finish last.

Anyone who sends me some sushi or a donut will get 30 minutes to get pitch.

I could understand such measures for jobs but I would have thought agencies would be jumping at the chance for non-committal free/cheap labour.

Not really, the problem is the amount of time and resources to oversee a person/intern. Sometimes the commitment is not a viable business option. It may be good for you but not good for manhours and business to have someone shepherd a person. It can take years till a newbie becomes part of the fabric of a design agency.
I have an intern at Armadillo this month and told him yesterday he had 5 hours in which to design a website. Face went white.

With so many people all trying to be clever to get attention, sometimes it can be a refreshing change to just have someone literally tell you what they want.

I know a girl who has had great success with getting portfolio visits by simply emailing a studio with "Portfolio visit?" as the subject and the message "I'll bring donuts..." followed by a link to her online portfolio.

There's no bull**** and people don't waste their precious time reading a page-long essay about someone they've never met or trying to open up some fancy box or something you've designed to get to your CV inside.

She's also managed to get a couple internships from a number of places because she already knows someone there thanks to her portfolio visits.

Being clever or original is all well and good, but sometimes it pays to just be blunt and get to the friggin' point!

Berry said:
I have an intern at Armadillo this month and told him yesterday he had 5 hours in which to design a website. Face went white.

I did the same when working in the publishing company I worked in recently.. told 2 interns they had to design a skamp (sketch to all those who don't know what a skamp is) of 2 different books in one day.. neither did it but they both tried :) which was good :)

Hired one of them in the end of it as he proved his worth.

He also was the one who sent in a box of doughnuts to the office to ask for an internship.. :):clap:

Few years back a prospective designer sent in a huge box of handmade cakes with all the staff names on.

Got the job. Rubbish. Lasted six weeks.

Still confused to they worked out all of the staff's names as they wern't on the website or anywhere similar.

Cake baking stalker.

Stalking Baker!! That's funny.

I agree with Paul really, be straight. But then again, each director will think differently so it's hit or miss.

Back