WordPressssssssss

allyally2k

Can you add Flash elements to WordPress?

and

Does anyone have any really good examples of sites made using WordPress?

:)

Hi Ally,

Check out WeLoveWP, a Wordpress gallery site, it's not as good as it used to be, as there was a blog that picked out monthly favourites, looks like that has been left behind, but still worth a look.

Some more WP gallery sites can be found via this blog post on 1st Web Designer - 13 Beautiful Wordpress Showcase Sites | Graphic and Web Design Blog - Inspiration, Resources and Tools

Also check out this post on Six Revisions - 45 Beautiful and Creative (WordPress) Designs

& a few minimal examples on Tutorial9 - Minimalism Around the Web: Design Inspiration & WordPress Themes | Tutorial9

Hope that helps with the inspiration! :)

allyally2k said:
Can you add Flash elements to WordPress?

Yes, you can add flash elements to a Wordpress theme, obviously if it's something like navigation you won't be able to have it update through WP (EDIT: Sounds like you can, as per Chris' reply below, but sounds tricky!) but other individual flash elements shouldn't be a problem.

The only way to fully (and very painfully) implement Flash and Wordpress completely (and at great length) is to use a program called Flex which makes DB ready flash web applications.. Its very long winded and uses MXML to do all the calls to the wordpress db, very interesting technology (which will be in with Flash CS5 from what i've heard on the grapevine) :)

(I forgot to add that to my last post :p :lol: )

Ok cool thanks a lot for all that info Greg, will have a little look after I've had my tea (starving just got in from work)

and thanks for that Chris, it sounds complicated lol...but I guess everything seems complicated to me when it comes to web.

So... Is WordPress the best route to go down if I want to start making websites? :eek:

allyally2k said:
So... Is WordPress the best route to go down if I want to start making websites? :eek:

Your best bet will be learning some basic HTML/CSS, then after you have grasped that move onto Wordpress, or if you have no interest in the coding/development side of web design, outsource it!

I too am new to web design. I have two registered domains which I registered with Bluehost (recommended by WP and cheap) and installed WP on my CPanel.

WP was recommended to me by a local computer guy who has over 350 sites as being the easiest and most user friendly. He said Joomla to complicated if you're not a techie.

That's as far as I've got. Been overwhelmed with the plethora of themes out there, some fantastic looking ones, even the freebies. I've seen a couple that might fit with my eco sites but need tweaking and don't want to have to learn yet another language (code). Can anyone recommend a good outsourcer ?(not too expensive, have gone broke procrasting and run out of funds :-( )

I usually just use the default template then just edit it and created separate template files (using the code at the top with #templatename) then you can put whatever flash content etc you like in then and mix it amongst wordpress php code that will pick up the latest news or widgets etc.. so gives you complete freedom :)

Otherwise as for getting flash into posts hit the little 'embed media' button in the visual viewer and there is a flash option :) hope this helps.

do you have wordpress installed on your webserver? as it should be free :confused:

yeah :) do you have wordpress installed already on justhost?

I know yeah Greg's is good that's what first made me think Wordpress is a good platform. Especially for a newbie to web desin - like me... simple (well hopefully, once i get my head round it) to use, yet it can give a great result.

If you are completely new to web design / development, I would not recommend Wordpress; unless you are using the online version on Wordpress.com, as you will need existing knowledge to be able to install and edit Wordpress on your own server/host.

Back