wordpress

webfab

Hello,

I am very new to wordpress I want to know what the quickest and best way to download wordpress.org
please help me

thank you
curtis

Just click on the button that says 'Download Wordpress'. As far as I know that is the only way to do it.

There's a big button on the Wordpress.org site.

Make sure you don't pay them for your hosting though and get your hosting privately.

Also a lot of hosts have a one-click install wordpress from their control panel

This may have changed now (so excuse me if it has) but one-click installs used to get a bad reputation for not keeping their platforms up-to-date and so exposing users to security vulnerabilities due to non-patching. In my opinion it is much better to know how a CMS is installed from scratch so that you are not left struggling with what to do when your WP site gets hacked. Learning to create a database and upload files through FTP are the basics that anyone attempting a database driven website should know. Otherwise, try the hosted version :icon_biggrin:

I used the one-click install on my own site, and used the self-install on a clients site. My site is always always updated to the latest version of Wordpress. With it being in the WP control panel that an update is available, they come straight through, no issues at all.

I used the one-click install on my own site, and used the self-install on a clients site. My site is always always updated to the latest version of Wordpress. With it being in the WP control panel that an update is available, they come straight through, no issues at all.

Is that with Fantastico or Scriptaculous on your hosting? I have used Fantastico in the past and had the late updates issue. Scriptaculous looks better to me but my hosting doesn't have it :icon_frown:

This may have changed now (so excuse me if it has) but one-click installs used to get a bad reputation for not keeping their platforms up-to-date and so exposing users to security vulnerabilities due to non-patching. In my opinion it is much better to know how a CMS is installed from scratch so that you are not left struggling with what to do when your WP site gets hacked. Learning to create a database and upload files through FTP are the basics that anyone attempting a database driven website should know. Otherwise, try the hosted version :icon_biggrin:

Well Senor Code Monkey I have manually installed before, set up and FTPd the database and everything (see? Not that uselss :p) but as Tony says the dashboard always alerts you to updates etc. I have personally never had a problem but there's a first time for everything..

@Corrosive I think mine is through Scriptaculous yeah. It's not Fantastico. It seems to update semi-regularly, around about the same time as my clients site that uses the self installed one.

That's the one I use, Softaculous, not Scriptaculous.

Ooops yes, that is probably what I meant. We have Fantastico on our cPanel and the updates weren't great when I first used it. Hosts said we had to move servers to get softaculous :icon_frown:

Back