Wordpress?

samjacksondesign

Having tackled wordpress installation, what are your thoughts on it?

A lot of people say it is hard to customise themes etc?

Many Thanks,

Sam:)

Thanks for your reply:)

My knowledge is pretty basic in relation to PHP, however i can always learn:)

It is going to be used mainly as an online protfolio for both my photography and graphic design.

I just started using it yesterday and the dashboard is very user-friendly. I'm only using it for its CMS capabilities, not as a blog. I would recommend giving it a shot. If nothing else, you can always uninstall it.

Hey Monroe,

I have it installed etc now. Dashboard as you say is pretty user-friendly.

Just having difficulty editing features etc but luckily the theme im customising has come with some very good instructions:)

Just one thing for a worpress expert on here!

I installed WP through my FTP (Filezilla), basically i want to edit features such as logo, background etc. Can i do this through WP dashboard or do i do the same as for HTML and edit through DW and simply re-upload on FTP?

Cheers

Sam

samjacksondesign said:
I installed WP through my FTP (Filezilla), basically i want to edit features such as logo, background etc. Can i do this through WP dashboard or do i do the same as for HTML and edit through DW and simply re-upload on FTP?

Hi Sam,

They will be in the theme files, so your logo image would mosy likely be: wp-content/themes/theme-name/images/logo-filename.png. Then for your background edit it would be the css file and possibly another image or two :)

Some premium themes (purchased) have controls for editing logos, style changes in the WP admin, but your best off learning how to edit the files yourself in any case.

Greg

Yer i have instructions in html format, just im confused with categories and pages. All i want to do is edit content on the main headings in the menu bar.

Just as a newbie, this is proving quite difficult lol

Cheers,

Sam

If by menu bar you mean the sidebar, when you install a theme most of the time they put "widgets" in your sidebar by default (Archive, Search, Categories, Pages, etc)

If you want to change that. Then go to Appearance > Menus as Greg said and create a custom menu. Give it a name and add whatever categories or pages you want to it. Then save it. Then go to Appearance > Widgets and drag the bar that says "Custom Menu" over to the the box named "Sidebar" on the right. Then if you go back to your website there should be nothing on your sidebar except your custom menu.

Hope that helps.

Back