Wordpress Theme

Aarlev

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to come up with a Wordpress theme. Just for fun and to further my skills a bit.

This is what I've got so far. I'm trying to achieve quite a corporate look as I haven't done much in that field and would like to improve a bit with that style. I was thinking it could be used for an Architecture firm or similar type of business.

Would love to hear your thoughts, and what you think could be improved.

Thanks for your time!

Soren

Very impressive! Only two things I don't like; the gradient on your top bar and the arrow in your WELCOME title bar.

Keep up the good work

I'm not a giant fan of the yellow, but it's a nice template. I would adjust your top gradient just a bit, it's a little too "swamp green" for the template. Very nice job overall!

Yeah after looking at it again I think the top gradient might be a bit overkill. I'll try with just a flat color or a more subtle gradient. Perhaps the same green as in the footer. I put the arrow next to the "welcome" to try and draw a bit more attention to the content area, but I was unsure of it myself. I'll play around with some other options. I quite like the yellow as I think it breaks up the design a bit and compliments the green. But I'll definitely try to mess around with some other colors.

Thanks a lot for your feedback everyone. Much appreciated!

Hi Soren,

Looking nice, I would think about taking out the section between the main content and the footer, I'm not sure if it's needed personally? Good to see you're trying some new/unfamiliar styles, will be interesting to see how it develops :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Sorry for smacking you in the face Tom. :). I've changed the color now. You were right it was a bit too much, I think it looks better now.

@Greg: Yeah I was just thinking about having the navigation there as well for improved usability and something else like links, informative text or whatever people would like. But maybe it's not really needed.

Anyways, I've made a few more alterations. Let me know what you think.

New Design

Much sharper Soren, liking it :) I'd be tempted to nudge the 'Welcome' text over to the right a bit so it sits inline with the 'YourBusiness' at the top and the content below, might also look at moving the search function across into your sidebar, as it looks a bit tight in the grey bar.

Can see what you mean about the area beneath the content and above the footer, probably a good thing to include for a WP theme, can see its purpose more now :)

Nice work!
Greg

Greg said:
Much sharper Soren, liking it :) I'd be tempted to nudge the 'Welcome' text over to the right a bit so it sits inline with the 'YourBusiness' at the top and the content below, might also look at moving the search function across into your sidebar, as it looks a bit tight in the grey bar.

Can see what you mean about the area beneath the content and above the footer, probably a good thing to include for a WP theme, can see its purpose more now :)

Nice work!
Greg

Cheers Greg!

Yeah it looks a lot better aligned to the 'your business'. Thanks for pointing that out Greg! And that search function does look a bit cramped. Hmm.. Don't know how to incorporate it into the side bar. And I don't want to make the grey area beneath the header Image deeper as I like that it aligns to the background of the top sidebar heading. Perhaps I could have it in the content area in the top right corner.

Aarlev said:
Don't know how to incorporate it into the side bar.

When I mentioned that I was thinking you could reduce the latest news links and archive links to 5 each? and then insert another Green bar with Search and a white input field and search button below that?

It's looking good though :)

Greg said:
When I mentioned that I was thinking you could reduce the latest news links and archive links to 5 each? and then insert another Green bar with Search and a white input field and search button below that?

It's looking good though :)

Ahh..yeah..Good thinking. I'll try that. Thanks!

I don't like the new color for your sidebar-headings. I'm not saying it has to be yellow but it does have to stand out a little bit... orange?

I think the newer design is a bit more bland without any colours, but I still like it alot :D

should really learn Wordpress!

Yeah I agree that the sidebar headings have to stand out a bit more. I'll have a play around with some different colors. Thanks for your input everyone, you've been a great help!

I think its looking good.

TBH I would just get a colour scheme that works and is fairly neutral as a really when someone downloads your template to use they should be applying their own colour scheme. You could even offer a few options within the css, comment bits out / uncomment for blue version / uncomment for grey etc.

Its the markup that really matters

Also don't forget to add in the footer "Corporate Theme by Soren Aarlev, powered by wordpress"

Back