WordPress customisation

Hey peeps,

I'm just getting into the whole WordPress and customisation angle. I wondered what other peoples experiences are towards full customisation of themes are? Particularly those who don't delve too deeply into the coding side of things.

Are there any good theme sellers out there that make it possible to edit the Photoshop files to personalise the look of the site and at the same time it being a fairly straight forward process?

Thanks,
Phil

Hey peeps,

I'm just getting into the whole WordPress and customisation angle. I wondered what other peoples experiences are towards full customisation of themes are? Particularly those who don't delve too deeply into the coding side of things.

Are there any good theme sellers out there that make it possible to edit the Photoshop files to personalise the look of the site and at the same time it being a fairly straight forward process?

Thanks,
Phil

Be careful on what theme you edit. That's all I'll say on that :icon_wink:. As for a basic theme where you can apply your own CSS etc have a look at Starkers by Elliott Jay Stocks.

I'm currently in the process of making my theme for my website from a photoshop mockup, it's fairly straight forward if you read around a few different resources.

If you need a hand drop me a PM or email and I'll give you a hand, or of course post it on here, where I'm sure most people would be able to help.

Ive been tweaking my blogs for a while now. But I have not dared to get into it too much. As Chris says. Once you edit the PSD there is a good chance you will need to tweak the CSS somewhat. Thats the time consuming bit.

Themeforest is one of the better places to by themes. They are reasonable on price and all there themes support full customisation. You can see my blogs here and here. But as I said, I nver verntured to far.

Chris/Peter,

Thanks very much for the info. That really is helpful. I like the look of Themeforest especially and will definitely be trying out theme customisation with them.

Also does anyone know of any company that offers a demo, or 'try before buy'?

I envisage doing a first WP site for a charity, but am just wondering how to second guess any layout changes and how that may affect buying themes...

Thanks again,
Phil

Hi Phil

Check out WooThemes... they have a couple of free themes, a bunch of really nice premium themes, good support via a forum and they have a 'playground' where you can set up and play with a theme before you buy it. In particular, check out Canvas. It's got heaps (over 100 I think) of customisation options.

You can purchase the theme on its own, or pay a little extra for the theme and all the psd files. Sounds like just what you're after.

I've used them in the past and am very happy to of done so. :icon_thumbup:

/Doug

p.s. those are affiliate links, but that costs you nothing extra whilst making me a little bit of pocket money. I really do recommend them.

Back