Word 2008?!

Music To The Eyes

Not sure where I should put this, but does anyone have any experience with this monstrosity of a program?

I'm trying to add a full width letterhead image into the header box. To get the image to go right up to all of the edges I have to make all the margins 0cm, which then messes up the margins for the rest of the text... but not only that - the whole box seems to 'float' over to the right by a few mil, so I'm left with a white gap on the left of the header.

Can anyone help?! :confused:

make an image that is completely the size of an A4 sheet (include white space) then insert the image as a background image. and lock it in place.. thats the only way to make it go to the edges.

hmmm ok... well you should be able to go to the master page in view or something like that, then be able to right click on the image which will give you the resize bars to resize it to the correct size.

If that doesnt work you could send it to me and I can do it for you if that helps?

Is it going to be made into a word template file?

How do you view the master page? I can only view print layout, we layout, draft etc. I've no idea if it's to be a template, I think it'll just be saved as a .docx file.

Oh god, all I had to do was insert an image and drag it to the top. Still annoyed that the header floats off to one side - it makes no sense! Thanks for your help!

sorry got dragged away from my desk for a little bit.. do you want to email it to me?

No, thank you Chris. I worked it out in the end, by just placing an image at the top of the page. I'm not sure why it works, but it does, so I'm going to leave it alone! I'm still trying to understand the reasoning behind the floating header though - a microsoft glitch, or is there a reason for it that I've missed? :D

The problem is that Micro$hite doesn't like people making things like that .. they want you to use Expression Studio for it instead... but never mind :p :lol: good on ya for sorting it out :D

Haha, never have I been so annoyed with Microsoft. I might go home and kick my PC to make myself feel better...

The problem has now returned in a new form! Adding a picture worked the first time, but when I try to do it again, it floats off to the right just like the header did! ARGH! I can work around it by replacing the original image with the new image I want to insert, but it's not exactly ideal...!

why do you need to add another photo.. is it for a press release or something like that? Word can't handle this sort of stuff at all :(

hmmm if I were you, I would save the template file then try to open it on a new machine and try placing an image on top..

Ok ok, it's all sorted, sort of... Turns out the picture's horizontal alignment was set on 'other'. God knows what that means, but if you set it on left, right, or centre, it's fine. That's if you can make it stay... it tends to switch back to 'other'.

I need to add more images because a client wants multiple letterheads, all with different titles for different departments. There are something like 150 different jpegs (no joke) that need to be put in the headers of word documents for the client.

I haven't used any versions of word apart from my XP version on my PC at home (which is also shit, but fine for simple letters etc) and I'm just flabbergasted at how unintuitive Word 2008 is.

welcome to Micro$hite Office.. making designers lives hell since they started :lol:

If you knew someone who could code some Visual Basic, you would only need to make one version and then get the person who knew VB to make an additional plug-in for Word to make it change the image out for the other 150 images for each sub-sub-sub section of their company... I've had to get this done before... fortunately only for 40 different subsections :) I got a contractor in to do the VB :)

I take it there's no way they can double print them? You supply the client with 150 PDF files, they then print as they need, print the PDF first with the letterhead, then feed the paper back in to overprint the Word document?

Sounds like a bit of a headache which ever way it goes with 150 design variations!

Haha, I don't mind repetitive tasks sometimes, it shouldn't take too long once I get into it.

Greg - double printing makes much more sense, but it's not for me to say - I'm doing the job for my boss for him to pass onto the client, so I'll just do as I'm told!

Music To The Eyes said:
Greg - double printing makes much more sense, but it's not for me to say - I'm doing the job for my boss for him to pass onto the client, so I'll just do as I'm told!

Ahh ok that explains it! :)

I think the page margins (those little icons on the ruler) are your problem once you tame those babies you should be fine - but I feel your pain brother!

Back