Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

woopidoo.

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by random91, Dec 15, 2011.

1. random91

random91 Junior Member

Not exactly whooping for joy but its the only title I could think of at a moments notice. The main reason I joined this forum was for help in illustrator. I'm a graphic designer (focusing more on logos as of late) and because I'm self-taught, I sometimes need help or tips and hints.
    Graphic design (well, art in general) is one of my hobbies and passions...I started off in photoshop, using it the same way I would microsoft paint. from photoshop, i progressed to illustrator as logos are required in vector format. as of now, I have a ok-ish grasp of the program, however, there is SO MUCH untapped potential for me out there! I don't even know what half of the tools mean, let alone know how to use them :eek:.

for a general idea of my skill level, a few selections in my portfolio on design crowd:
    My portfolio
    and my deviantart is: softpurple.deviantart.com

I have more art and logos on my deviantart than my designcrowd profile, as some of my logos are automatically hidden by the site.

2. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Welcome.

I like Freehand!
    don't like Illustrator.

3. random91

random91 Junior Member

thanks! i like freehand too, but cant afford a tablet just yet. (that is, the wacom intuos 4). i also didnt like illustrator uptil a while ago because it just feels foreign after using photoshop. I've gotten used to it now though.

4. Thewholehogg

I find Illustrator fights you every inch of the way...

Tablets. Why not save some money and get a Wacom Bamboo Pen. It's what I use.
    Getting a intuos4 doesn't make you a better designer/artist. Retail about £70 ebay £40ish.

5. random91

random91 Junior Member

i know that it doesnt/wont make me a better designer or artist. Its just that its one of the best, and i wont be satisfied if i have anything less. realistically speaking i will probably end up with the wacom bamboo as i just can't afford to fork out so much money on a hobby.
    so what program do you use? i agree with the illustrator thing, but only because as I said, i;ve barely tapped half its potential. I create everything painstakingly from scratch :/

6. random91

random91 Junior Member

for example, i sketched a cartoon type image that i wanted to use as a logo, scanned it to the pc, but once it was on illustrator i had to use the pen tool to trace around each section of the sketch. and then create seperate fills, etc. I'm sure there must be a much easier way but havent bothered to find out if there is.

7. Thewholehogg

Well that's how you do it vectorizing an image is a fiddle but that's how you do it.

I work the same way whilst doing an character as a vector for web or print.
    Sketch it out, scan it and draw over the top in Illustrator ( I have to use illy now since updating to Lion on my Mac).
    When working point to point its not so bad using a mouse. That's how we used to do it before tablets...

Stick with it and practice.

8. random91

random91 Junior Member

:eek: that is so...painstakingly slow....i've done it a few times and while it works for a simple sketch, for details i just cannot imagine! :( i'm actually using the laptop touchpad because since graphic design is a hobby, i've usually got the laptop on my legs in bed while designing.

outlining isn't my real problem anyway, i'd gladly scan and vectorise if i knew how to colour effectively.. (without a tablet or using the brush tool with a mouse). right now I usually create shapes of different shades instead of shadows to give more depth to my images. i've got lots to learn.

edit// just had a look at your work and its amazing! I really love the detail.

9. Thewholehogg

I'd work at a desk for that sort of thing. Use a mouse for now. It does speed up with practice.

Thanks for the compliment as well. Glad you like.

10. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

Welcome to DF Random91!

11. welcome to the forum

12. random91

random91 Junior Member

thank you for taking the time to respond to my thread :)

13. random91

random91 Junior Member

oh, and I'm a girl (just so no one gets confused -my username doesnt really have female connotations)

14. WEBIAN

WEBIAN Senior Member

I had no doubt about it.