'Wolf Soda' competition entry - the transformation

Levi

Staff member
Well after winning the competition I decided to take some time to just 'evolve' the design to take on board the reviews/critiques. Again this was done in spare time so there may be a few bits and pieces not quite perfect.
You can see the original entries here and the reason behind the original design. It also has most of the comments although there are some found in the results thread too.
A quick breakdown of the comments basically thought
  • the design was more bar/club orientated even though my concept was more aimed at the home soft drinks market.
  • the text on the page was a bit dated
  • the pictures weren't 'advert' ready - they weren't meant to be but I'll take that on board here anyways.
  • My own self critique a few days later picked up on texture issues and orientation of the presentation.
  • The brand was dated/better than I gave it credit for (not my area of expertise) - I thought they weren't very refined but I said at the time they weren't 'final' they were there for 'reference'
  • low res imagery, easily solved given enough time
This thread is going to show how an initial idea can be developed further when the right critiques are given. It may include some random sketches at some point but it's mostly going to be renderings for now.
Feel free to comment etc.

I've copied the images here for easy reference:

The first thing I did was 're-render' two of the main images with a revised presentation design.

bullet-x1v2.jpg

glass-x2v2.jpg

At the time I wasn't 100% happy, the glass image was just missing 'something'. I've since figured out what was bugging me, it was missing 'bubbles' in the liquid, yeah the glass is frosted but it's still going to have a subtle bubble here and there.

Text was changed but I'm just not feeling it with those images so that may need a tweak again too.

The latest thing I've been working on is adjusting the design to a more 'club' orientated product.

In bars/clubs it's often easier to sell a single 'item' over multiple items so I looked into ways to 'package' the silver bullet with a drink while still allowing the drinker to customise the drink.

After a short while I came up with the idea which I'm rendering now (will post the final image when it's finished)

Pixelated version of the idea is below :)

crescent-moon-pixel.jpg

Love this idea Levi, I think it's great that you're doing this too. Out of interest, was this your only concept or were you considering others?

Only concept for comp - yes and no. I had the obvious ideas originally based around the wolf and moon etc but decided to ignore them, then it was a case of one of those moments of inspiration.
In regards to the development, again I kind of had some other ideas but the one which is still rendering...might have it tonight... seemed like the most viable to actually produce.

The renders finally done so here is the idea that I've come up with based on the feedback.

nightclub-v2.jpg

nightclub-v2-explode-v2.jpg

nightclub-v2-transparency.jpg

So what is it and what's changed.

The idea is simply a 'clip' which holds both a silver bullet and a combination straw/stirrer. This clip then fits a custom shaped glass which could be branded with wolf soda, silver bullet or even the 'club' name. This allows the whole drink to be carried/delivered to the table/customer easily.

The first image is a 'beauty shot', the second is showing the key parts and the third is a 'transparency' to show how it sits in the glass - not really needed but quick to do.

What's changed in the models:
The glass is an alteration to the original model with the 'cut out' section being changed.
The clip is a complete new model
The straw/stirrer is a remodel of the original straw with alterations to include the 'padels'

In regards to the render: (compared with original entry)
An additional light was added and the floor was made darker
The glass is now two glass textures, the top lip is smooth glass, the body is still frosted but with less frosting - you can now see the ice, the liquid and the new addition of bubbles (I think they might be a bit big but I they still work ok)
The silver bullet has had a texture change on the cap
The stirrer and clip have used the same black plastic as used in the original imagery.

Presentation:
Change of font (still 50/50 with the font, can't quite find exactly what I want) and made portrait

I've kind of got an idea for a 'jug' in my head so I may do that at some point too but this will do for now... stick any questions/comments etc up

These look great! Sorry for the late response, surprised no one else has said anything? Come on DF!
Now you just need to present this to a retailer and see what they say :D

Back