wish me luck....

notepad++ is an awesome bit of kit :) very cool :D good luck Tom :)

how strange ive just moved to these two also..i used dreamweaver and ipswitch now notepad++ and file zilla :) good luck its cool

I've not known anyone to entirely trust Dreamweaver for everything in many years :) good on you :D

i understand now why designers dont use DW. DW adds rubbish in and makes the site look well different to using Notepad ++.

im converted now to notepad++.

Although coding in notepad is good to give you a better understanding of the code, its not very practical. Apart from (ahem) bragging rights, what does it do for YOU? Since you are the one writing the code you actually want to make it as easy as possible for yourself, while retaining full control. Why not just code in dreamweaver in code view only? and not use any of the "automatic" features.

The worst things is that you have no syntax highlighting, which is a godsend, never mind the million other features that IDE's offer, such as code collapsing etc. One you start mixing code also PHP, HTML, CSS etc it can really slow your progress without some visual indicators. Not that CSS should be mixed with the previous, but I often just write it in as object attributes first and then move it out to classes in the css files after when cleaning up.

It also adds unwanted characters (tabs etc), ideally you should convert your IDE (dreamweaver etc) to use add 4 x spaces instead of actual tabs when you press the tab button. Same goes for other IDE's. 9 timed out of ten your files will be uploaded to a linux server, they like tabs much more :), ever downloaded a file from FTP and had weird spacing, multiple added blank lines etc... now you know why.

As a side note I use phpDesigner and its awesome!, also not just for PHP :p

Notepad++ provides exactly what DW's code view does. Auto complete, syntax highlighting, collapsing. It's great!

Darren said:
ever downloaded a file from FTP and had weird spacing, multiple added blank lines etc... now you know why

I learnt something there in your mid anti-notepad speech Darren, so thanks for that :up:

Back