Wine bar project help

mcblack

Hey Everyone,
I'm designing some stuff for a wine bar here in Australia. I have gone with a woodcut/lino style illustration of a budgie with grapes (client really wanted a budgie). I haven't added colour yet as I wanted to get the budgie sorted first. I have two options for lockup ect., and a simple logo for smaller stuff as well as just the budgie head. Looking for critique about if this will work as a brand, and some suggestions for colour ect. Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 1.11.06 AM.png

I think the one with the whole thing in a circle works ok, but why does the bird symbol need to be included, I think it's an unnecessary addition.

The budgie illustration will need to be simplified and you'll struggle to add colour to it.

LOL! I really like the concept but when I first looked at it I struggled to see what it was.
Only the fist time mind.

I think the issue is that the budgie is fighting against the background and is a bit too busy.
The smaller, icon style one works a lot better in a "less is more" kind of way.

Personally, I think if you used a lighter line weight for the background it'd give the little fella a bit more definition.

Hey, thanks for the critique!
I wanted to use the smaller bird/wine glass for things that needed to be smaller scale, but agree with it looking out of place.
I get what you mean with simplifying and colour, I'm struggling with the black wing pattern for sure.

LOL! I really like the concept but when I first looked at it I struggled to see what it was.
Only the fist time mind.

I think the issue is that the budgie is fighting against the background and is a bit too busy.
The smaller, icon style one works a lot better in a "less is more" kind of way.

Personally, I think if you used a lighter line weight for the background it'd give the little fella a bit more definition.
Hey, thanks I'll try that out!

Absolutely, the budgie needs less details. It'll easily look smudgy if you print it on anything (no rhyme intended).

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all your replies. I have made some changes to try and make this better.
I look out some of the details from the budgie and the smaller icon logo from the round lockup. I moved the wine bar type away from the tail.
I also coloured the budgie and reduced the stroke size from the background details to create more contrast and make the budgie stand out more.
Still a work in progress, but I'd like everyone's opinions on if its improving. Struggling with the budgie wings making that balance between too much details and it being smudgy and not enough and it not looking like budgie wings and looking like a parakeet instead.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 1.47.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 1.47.09 AM.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 7
I think it worked before but just needed tweaking and I think it looks way better for it although I did like it in one colour version but that's just me and the colour does make him pop more.

Sorry, but I did a before and after......or rather after and before. ;)
Budgie.jpg

Back