Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Kevin, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

[ame=""]YouTube - ‪Building "Windows 8" - Video #1‬‏[/ame]

So what are your first impressions?

I find the start screen to look rather nice, but then again, it's a "start screen". The "apps" behind the tiles are souped up widgets/gadgets. Stocks? Weather? News feeds? They open Internet Explorer but it's basically just a full screen browser. Halfway in the video they open a real application (Excel which still is a huge mess) and suddenly the Windows Taskbar pops up. A second later they show off the Windows Explorer which is still same o' same o'.

But yeah, the start screen looks nice...
  2. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Well there you go...........zzzzzzzzzzzzz...oh, sorry I drifted off.
  3. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

I think it looks pretty confusing to me, also seems very centred around touch screen as well which I don't really like.
  4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

From what I've seen of it (I've got issues with youtube at the moment :() I'm on the fence. It's too early to tell how the desktop version will look and the touch version seems ok but not anything major....

It has kind of made me hold off on a slate a bit longer though, I was already waiting on the new galaxy tab, then I saw nvidia's Kal-El reference design and now there's this new windows option (which would run on kal-el). Seeing as everything I use software wise is windows based there's a side of me that says wait for windows 8 (especially if it can still use a stylus for sketching) although I do like the android options.
  5. Romack

Romack Senior Member

following on from the windows phone 7 innit
  6. tom thurs

tom thurs Member

As long as it's fast i'm not that fussed but isn't this too soon after windows 7?
    If it's just a tablet thing then fair enough but I've only had windows 7 for a year and I'm not going to shell out for another OS anytime soon.

Oo Levi if you're after a stylus laptop have a look on - Tablet PC Forums - iPad Forums and Android Tablet Discussions they've got "a what tablet should I buy?" post which they give some pretty good advice on what's best for your needs.

I've been looking into getting a tablet laptop for a while (I just need the money). You can get tablets with wacom digitizers for pretty cheap on ebay
  7. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I know exactly which windows tablets to buy, the problem is they both got killed off, asus decided to nerf the product and release it as an android tablet :(
    The original ep121 had the docking station like the asus transformer - that was perfect for me as it was best of both worlds. The released ep121 doesn't have a dock and lasts for like 2 hours due to the core i5 cpu, it's not even a ulv type :( And microsoft were too stupid to release the courier

Dell's upcoming menlow (atom) one might be worth a look as it has a stylus but I'm still thinking arm is the way to go for a slate if I want decent battery life.

It's not like it would be used for anything more than sketching and viewing content in which case android is fine :)

Plus I've still got my eye on this