Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 whats the run down

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jazajay, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Right peeps, I currently have Windows XP, so whats the best package for me?
    Home basic, professional or ultimate?

Also are there cheaper upgrade packages, rather than full packages, and whats the differance and finally what are the benefits over XP and over each individual package?
  2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Jaz, I've just upgraded one of my machines to it (I'm testing it while waiting on a new gpu to come out).

Comparing to Vista x64 ultimate which apart from hard drive transfers was a faster os to work in than xp in my opinion.

- HD transfer - faster than vista
    - overall system response is faster
    - I don't like the 'improved' media player as it's lost all it's keyboard shortcuts from 11
    - slideshows only start from first folder/image unless its been opened in picture viewer app
    - office, cs4 etc all seem to work fine after updates although I've managed to screw up my font's folder somehow.
    - getting subs on video's can be a little awkward but thats easier with shark007 codecs.

If you or someone in the family is a student you can get an upgrade for £30 quid etc.

If not go for home premium unless you need remote desktop (I did so went pro oem) and xp in vm (requires cpu with virtualisation). Pro and ultimate are identical apart from more languages (I only use english) and bitlocker which I've never used. Get x64 if you can too.

Anything in particular you're interested in knowing Jaz as if I can I'll test it for you.
  3. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

my cousin bought a new copy, no upgrade, with license for 3 computers for £130 i think he said.
  4. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Thought you would be the first on this. :)
    Really £30 for students?
    Mmm...howz that work exactly?

I was reading Pro had XP compatability mode, where as basic doesn't, but I was wondering how pants that was?
    Because if it is like win 98 compatability, for old, old games which yeah never worked I may sod it off for basic, is that Vista or XP that has that anyway????
    Anyhoo I was just curious because apparently it lets you use XP programs that would otherwise be incompatable.

I use Fireworks 8, and one of the only programs I really need to be compatiable to be honest and I know it worked fine on Vista, so I guess that would be fine with 7, yes?
    Cheers for the run down fella very much appreicated.

Yeah thats the prices I've been looking at, TBH my comp really needs a total upgrade so I'm going to start with a bit a month as I'm not really in a rush.

So RAM this month, then garphics card, then second processor, then 1TB storage, then probably new motherboard, then Windows 7 so it's probably at least 6 months off yet, but thought I would get some opinions to whats best for my needs in advance, future proofing and all that.
    Also I've seen DirectX 11 and the graphics that brings to the table and thats only available on Vista + so......

But my needs are basically internet dev and browsing, testing server and gaming TBH.

Are upgrade packs cheaper?
    Whats the differance between an upgrade pack and the really thing?
  5. Levi

thats an upgrade pack of home premium last time I checked.

Basically you have to (or someone you can sweet talk) be in education and then you go somewhere like here - you do need evidence to say the purchaser is a student etc. It's also gone upto £40 now :)

I haven't had any issues with software apart from golive going non aero (it's ugly but functional) but all my software is fairly upto date.

XP compatibility mode requires a copy of xp (I think - 99% certain) and a cpu with virtualisation tech built in (there is a checker but can't think where) and then windows treats the programs running from xp as a 'native' app although running in ms virtual machines. Can also run like parallels/vmware on the mac and hide xp start bar etc.
    I haven't used it as my cpu's can't run it but others say it's pretty good.
    if it worked on vista it more than likely will run on windows 7, you do have compatibility options if you click on the shortcuts properties etc although uac can be a pita still.

might be cheaper to just get yourself a new i7 rig and start from scratch, by the time you've upgraded that lot, you'll likely have a spare pc laying around :)

[/quote]Are upgrade packs cheaper?
    Whats the differance between an upgrade pack and the really thing?[/QUOTE]
    Upgrades are cheaper if you have xp/vista, they're basically the same as the full thing (you can do a clean install too) but you need an xp/vista license too - can't use vista/xp after it - has both x84 and x64 iirc

OEM - identical to retail but restricted to one pc (the motherboard is it's fixed bit), although you can replace a faulty motherboard etc. Most people have used it on more than a new pc later too but it's not technically allowed. Only has x86 or x64 installer, I think the license codes can be used on both though.

Retail - full install, no restrictions apart from one pc at a time type affair. Has both x86 and x64 installations

I went oem Pro x64 as once it's installed it stays put :)
  6. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64

I'm currently downloading virtual PC and haven't seen the need for an XP license.

Download Windows XP Mode
  7. Levi

Just realised thats a little unclear.

In w7 pro (in vista too) there is an option to set a program to run in compatibility mode (should be in all version) via the properties of the program (right click on a start bar shortcut) and then theres the virtual xp option which is only on pro/ultimate and requires the cpu with virtualisation :)

Hopefully thats clearer :)
  8. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Aww cheers ppl, much appreciated.
    Basic it is then, and mmm....yes while you ask I am a student, so thanks for the link, students should hear more about these things IMO. :)

Get with the times dude an I5 rig. :D
    Looked this morn as TBH it's been a while since I've brought parts and I was like OMG what does that mean, and that, so took me a while longer than I thought and made me feel really old. 1 year, I mean how can things advance so much in a flaming year???? :(

Anyhoo got all the parts I need earmarked now for £600 which aint bad TBF and makes my current system look sooooooo bad. :cry:
  9. Levi

No you don't want basic (ie starter) you need home premium, starter is limited to 3 progs at a time etc :p

you want to get an i7 if you can afford the extra £90, it has hyperthreading meaning you get 8 virtual cores (unless you get the i7 hex core extreme version with 12) :) i5 doesn't have that feature :)

Then you have 2 socket types and then the architectures are slightly different on each, it's great fun :) The i7s are great, one has faster clock on single threaded apps, one can support more ram while they're just as fast as each other when using all 4 cores.

£600 isn't bad for a pc, I'm looking at £1500+ (the gpu is the main nasty bit :() if I'm to get a system worth upgrading to and which will last for a good few years! My main issue is I don't want to be caught out on prices like I was with my opteron so I'm waiting on nvidias fermi achitecture (eventually) and i7 930 to be released first :)

Before you buy, sling it up on here and we'll give it the once over so you're not wasting your money :)
  10. openmind

openmind Senior Member

I use the XP mode to run QuickBooks and it's excellent. No need for an additional license either...
  11. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Yeah I was reading about that but the i5's the newer one isn't it, and what I was reading is it is better.
    O well there go's my cochyness for the day, I'll take your word over what I read anyway. :p

Here's what I have at the mo so please correct me if I'm wrong or theres better options as TBH PC parts is something I don't really keep that up to date on any more and I just want a system that plays most of the modern games more into my old style TBH so don't really get the newer ones that often, but defo modern warfare 2 thats a must, I'm not a serious gamer at all TBF more Wii, lol so that graphics card should do it right? that and web dev which isn't that tasking. Also I based my decisions on the i5 due to it having a different size over the i7 ~

Motherboard ~
    MSI P55-CD53 P55 Socket 1156 Gigabit Lan 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

Graphics card ~
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer

RAM ~
    Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V - Ebuyer

Processor ~
    Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer

Hard-drive ~
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer

And I'll need to wack in a PS unit in, heat sink as the i5 comes with 1, as well as Home premium TBH.
  12. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Is that will pro?
  13. Levi

has to be pro or ultimate as home premium doesn't have xp option.

As to your spec - no mention of gpu fella but if I was buying now it would be a toss up between your spec but with the i7 860 2.8Ghz or building one based on the i7 920 (or 930 when it's released) which runs on a different socket, uses tri channel ram but is a little hotter when running. I'll knock up a quick one in a minute or two for you

GPU - dx11 is ati only at the moment so for a balanced 'work' computer in my opinion I'd say a HD5770 would be a good option at around £120, although obviously you can spend more if you want the best of the best performance :D

I'd go x64 for the os due to the option of 8GB ram later down the line.

Don't go skimping on the psu, get a decent branded one, seasonic, tagan and corsair are highly regarded and are usually fairly priced :)
  14. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Yeah I know had serious problems with crappy PSU's in the past so totally agree, 2 went in a week which is just not cricket TBF.

Okay, okay I'll bite what exactly is a GPU?
    I'm going out on a limb and going with Graphic Processor Unit?
    Which isn't that a graphics card or have I just said something stupid? :)
  15. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

I no wait I see what I did copied the wrong URL under graphics card. :eek:
    Yeah I'm not that stupid as in I buy 2 hard drives thinking 1's a graphics card and then start a help thread why asking why it wont fit, actually I don't know you know I may do. :confused:
  16. Levi

ok done a quick spec. Some slight personal taste differences but nothing too major - this is basically the way I would go as I like more ram due to my cad but you can never have enough ram in my view.
    All taken from so the prices might be cheaper elsewhere (usually are)

2 Hard drives to allow the page file to be on a different drive to improve performance - it does help. I'd also suggest a 4-8GB USB stick to be purely used for ready boost on windows 7 (it actually works unlike in windows vista) - I've got a ntfs formatted 8GB sandisk (£11 from running on mine.
    RAM is CAS 7 versus CAS 9 as to be honest its only £20 quid and lower cas latency is always better - motherboard can take 6 sticks meaning 12GB :)

You WILL need x64 windows with this spec as you have 6GB of ram :)

You could also optionally get a decent cpu cooler such as the corsair h50-1 to allow you to overclock if you want.

I'll admit I'm a little higher than the £600 you mentioned but you do have 2 Hard drives, more ram and a more expensive cpu.
    Yes GPU means graphics card :)

Attached Files:

17. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Cheers fella I'll have a look into that, thanks very much. :)

Mmm...just 1 thing.
    Any chance you could make the thumbnail just 1 mm bigger?
    As I kinda don't have the eyesight of a hawk TBH, that or I may need it testing. :eek: :D
  18. Levi

sorry forum shrunk it down.

Try this one :)

19. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Aww much better I have my hawk eyesight back now. :D
  20. openmind

openmind Senior Member

Yup Pro 64 bit edition...