Windows 10 LFP

Joeguyg

Trying to find a large format printer that runs on operating system Windows 10. Anyone out there know of one ?

Located on military installation. Cyber security requirements are forcing us to go to windows 10 OS platforms on all classified print systems/equipment. Currently have a KIP C 7800 running win 7 and the OEM has no plans to upgrade to win 10.

Well before buying a new one check to see if windows 10 has built in drivers for the KIP C 7800, it does have a lot of drivers built in.

As to what I'd recommend, I'd go canon printers personally.

In regards to cyber security, are you not allowed an air gapped machine purely for the printing side of things. You'd not be connected to any network so you'd need to transfer by usb stick or similar but it should cover most of the issues that Cyber are concerned with imo.

I've created a lot of tenders for military , in the printing industry. I'm just curious as to why this one isn't put out to tender, as it's a government spend, and I thought all governments were subject to tenders in regards to purchasing?

And if it's a military location, have you not got the KIP under a service contract? Can your service contract engineer not able to determine if it's upgradeable, or recommend an upgrade that does?

The LFP is on a classified network and cannot connect due to end of life from Microsoft support. Drivers are not the problem. The OS on the machine is the problem. Can't take it off the network and use in stand alone mode, its unauthorized. We have reached out to the vendor. Not upgradeable, they told us that they tried and it broke the machine, wasn't compatible. Why do all these manufacturers still use OS's that Microsoft no longer supports, i.e . win 7 win 8 soon. OEM's are still making LFP's (and other print equipment) with antiquated embedded OS's today, and are now 10 years old. That is frustrating.

Because if they update the software to work on the new computers, then they need to update the hardware - and that's too costly.

Microsoft still supports windows 7 etc, you just have to pay to do it last time I checked. Supposedly the UK military are still using windows xp in some cases, heavily 'modified' I would think for certain operations on their navy ships etc.

If it's unauthorised can't you ask to get it authorised to be used as an airgapped machine?

Also to be fair the printer you're trying to get working on windows 10 was released in 2012 which likely means it's drivers are likely using the old windows 'printer process' (it's been changed a bit with windows 10). It's also discontinued by Konica Minolta. Like I said there could be drivers inside windows 10 so maybe check that.

While like many others I would like things to be supported until they stop working the simple fact is that in the world of pc's if you have anything over 5 years in age, don't expect it to be supported by the manufacturer anymore, actually I'd be surprised if anything over 3 years was still supported.

Back