Win a copy of 'How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul'

Krey20

Hi guys,

Recently finished a good design book, reviewed it on my blog and have decided to give a copy away:

kenreynoldsdesign.co.uk – Design Book Givewaway

Easy enough to enter, part of the book seems to go quite well with a discussion going on in this thread at the moment: http://www.designforums.co.uk/graph...ustainability-responsibility-3.html#post54421

Here's the blurb of the book: Independently-minded designers need sound advice on striking out on their own, and guidance on the ethical and practical issues facing designers today. This book offers guidance on employment options straight out of college; setting up as a freelancer; establishing a firm; finding and keeping clients; pitching, and generally doing good work. In the near-endless stream of books on design and designers, there has never been a book on how to be a graphic designer until now. Also included are interviews with leading designers working in the US and UK today, including Neville Brody, John Warwicker, Rudy VanderLans and Alexander Gelmen.How to be a graphic designer… is a practical and inspirational user’s guide for designers who want to create meaningful work without losing their shirts… or their souls.

I hope some of you will give it a look and enter.

Best of luck with this one :) hope it brings more readers to your blog. *checks twitter to retweet for you*

Anyone else fancy entering, a few of you are already in the draw as you've signed up to my email notifications, but if you comment on the blog post you get entered into the draw twice.
Not too many entries at the moment, so your chances are pretty good!

Open to entries until noon tomorrow, 17/2/2010

looks interesting.
This reminds me what Milton Glaser told to his students, that they can be involved in any causes by graphism. As he did, modifying his logo after the attack of the twin towers in september 2001, adding to his "I ♥ NY" "More Than Ever".

Congratulations to Iain or (Iain Darkflare, as he's known here) who won the book giveaway. My thanks to all those that took the time to enter.
It's nice when someone from DF wins!

Apologies for dragging up an old thread...but I did say I would report back.

It took me a bit longer than planned to read the book through, but I’m glad I got there in the end.

It featured a lot of helpful stuff in there for all designers, regardless of what stage in your career you are at. But I think it would be particularly helpful to those just out of college/uni and looking for work or anyone in the early days of freelancing.

There was some really good advice on how to set up a portfolio for both job interviews and as a studio folio for clients. The whole book was scattered with tips and reassuring quotes.

Overall, for me, the book was both inspiring and reassuring. I can see it being one that I will revisit regularly. If you don’t own it yet, I’d suggest you go beg, borrow, or steal (not really).

Thanks again Ken!

It is certainly a must read! I got it way back in 2007 and have read it at least once a year since then.

I am actually re-reading it now as I am planning on taking the next step in my career and its full of helpful info!

Back