Will this font work well as copy?

rjdesigns

Hey guys,

I'm pushing to bring in a new typeface for the company I work at. At the minute after some trail and error and research my choice is Gilroy.

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/radomir-tinkov/gilroy/

My concern is that is won't work particularly well as copy. I've used the free light version and it can become quite difficult to read. I've convinced my MD to purchase a few weights so I can mock up some designs across different platforms.

We are a digital marketing agency, but it's taken me some time to convince them on the importance of a consistent visual presence. We don't produce large amounts of print and the digital content doesn't have large amounts of copy, however now that I am updating everything across the company I need a typeface that will work across all platforms as I will want to produce more marketing material for ourselves.

Thanks for your help.

It's a nice font for headlines, for body copy it's hard to say. It's quite geometric which I normally tend to avoid for large amounts of copy, but for smaller snippets, it may be ok. Light fonts are generally best used for headlines or display text, basically, anywhere they'll be large or given precedent. Legibility varies from family to family, but generally speaking, they don't always render very well due to their lightweight nature which can make them hard to read.

My go-to sans serif fonts for body copy are normally Univers for print) and Open Sans (for screen), with or Roboto working for large (font size) screen copy. I try and avoid anything too rounded like Helvetica for blocks of text, despite its popularity, it's not actually a very legible font.

It's a nice font for headlines, for body copy it's hard to say. It's quite geometric which I normally tend to avoid for large amounts of copy, but for smaller snippets, it may be ok. Light fonts are generally best used for headlines or display text, basically, anywhere they'll be large or given precedent. Legibility varies from family to family, but generally speaking, they don't always render very well due to their lightweight nature which can make them hard to read.

My go-to sans serif fonts for body copy are normally Univers for print) and Open Sans (for screen), with or Roboto working for large (font size) screen copy. I try and avoid anything too rounded like Helvetica for blocks of text, despite its popularity, it's not actually a very legible font.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I've been able to mock up some ideas with it but it hasn't transferred well on certain platforms. I'll just havce to do some trail and error and find a secondary font that everyone will have access to across the office.

Back