Will I ever work again? :o/

rachaelbethany

I am 22 years old and I am currently studying my second year of a BA Graphic Design course.
I have spent my whole life in education but I am now starting to worry as I havn't actually had a job in nearly 7 years. I don't even know how I got to this point, and now I don't know what to do! Made even worse by the issues regarding employmentat present.
Am I completley screwed? Is there any hope at all? What should I do?
Thank you for your time,
rachaelbethany

Well I won't lie to you Rachael.. its a very hard time at the moment for everyone... I would think long and hard about what work you would be willing to do just to make ends meet while trying to get a job in design (if that is what you really want). I have talked to loads of grads (and some junior designers) in the last few weeks (all asking for work in the company I work for, as we had a position for a junior designer - which has now been removed thanks to the global economy etc) and I have had to say the same to all of them... look for anything to fill the gap and to pay rent / bills / living until something comes along, that's the only way to survive at the moment.

I worked in bars and did freelance work all the way through my B.A. - Like they say, do whatever you can to help pay the bills

completely agree with you Brendan :) I worked through College all the way through University and never stopped :) meant I didn't get a Student Loan either :)

chrismitchell said:
completely agree with you Brendan :) I worked through College all the way through University and never stopped :) meant I didn't get a Student Loan either :)

LUXURY!!!! When I was lad, I slept under fishing boats on beach and in telephone box to see my way thru Art College! ( All true! ) ( also stole clothes off washing lines and pinched the odd bike!)

bloody hell berry were you an extra on last of the summer wine or something :lol:

@ Berry: I always wondered where the kid in the Hovis adverts got that bike! :)

It is very hard at the moment, and I can't really add much to what others have said. There isn't an easy route into the industry, all you can really do is find a way to survive and wait for your opportunities. Obviously you there are ways to make opportunities for yourself as well.
Doing a bit of freelance work will always help to refine your portfolio as well as keeping your eye in creatively.
I always have a few non-paying personal projects on the go that never really seem to get completed, but they are quite comforting when there is nothing else for you to do.

In my mind it's all about being ready. Having a portfolio and making your skills as good as they can be, in preparation for that job opportunity to come along so you can make the most of it.

Regarding the student issue and the possibility of employment.

The current situation doesn't help things anyway.

But aside from that, it has ALWAYS been hard to get that first job. There is now a huge surplus of design grads and no jobs. Oversaturation in this education field has led hundreds of thousands of students into blind alleys. This is an issue that needs to be addressed from an Goverment Education standpoint, as everyone knows business is about supply and demand. At the minute there is no demand and too much supply. It's like an 'EU Designer Mountain.'
But where there is a will, there is a way. But don't expect it to be given to you handed on a plate. If you need to eat you will have to kill, or you will starve.
Desire and Hunger are attributes that will make individuals succeed, not just talent.

The hardest part of getting to the top of the ladder is getting through the crowd at the bottom of it . ( BB BoL)

The only person who can make it happen is you. ;)

Pretty sure Berry that you just employ a philosophy grad to follow you all day and give you BB BoL quotes to put on here :p

Kudosis said:
Pretty sure Berry that you just employ a philosophy grad to follow you all day and give you BB BoL quotes to put on here :p

Hey! not a bad Idea! Wonder if I can get a grant or subsidary to fund the post.
That's one less Graduate off the Graduate Mountain.

Actually, I have an Idea!

To stimulate the economy and help businesses in the current economic climate, why can't the goverment offer companies 1 graduate for a year, free and paid by the gov (say a £12k min salary) That would stimulate business opportunity and potential for some businesses, ease financial burden and hopefully after a year the person will have made such a contribution that income generation that it will be a permanent position. Lets use the labour we have got to generate momentum and get us out of this slide.

Berry, surely you've been in this world long enough to realise that the UK government don't do anything that would actually work or help the economy.

It's a very good idea, but as above, would never see it happening.

Yeh, that's true. It's a question of importance and needs - they're far too busy anyway sorting out their expense claims and second home allowance.

Berry said:
Yeh, that's true. It's a question of importance and needs - they're far too busy anyway sorting out their expense claims and second home allowance.

£4000 for a lampshade?!?!?

wasn't there someone in the US who had a wastepaper basket worth $1200 or something like that too :eek:

I used to think about that (I used to be in Army Cadets when I was alot younger)

yeah the clothes were really uncomfortable for everyone. I think that a lot of people think about the armed forces as some sort of career when they first start out as they take almost anyone.

Berry said:
Hey! not a bad Idea! Wonder if I can get a grant or subsidary to fund the post.
That's one less Graduate off the Graduate Mountain.

Actually, I have an Idea!

To stimulate the economy and help businesses in the current economic climate, why can't the goverment offer companies 1 graduate for a year, free and paid by the gov (say a £12k min salary) That would stimulate business opportunity and potential for some businesses, ease financial burden and hopefully after a year the person will have made such a contribution that income generation that it will be a permanent position. Lets use the labour we have got to generate momentum and get us out of this slide.

GO Wales we have this in wales, in a lot of cases i have heard of people using it as a trail period, that leads to a job. As an employer it is helpful because they can have a free intern and then let the government pay them!

Back