Widdlers Wee Redesign

C

chrismitchell

People may or may not have looked at the current site for Widdlers Wee :) but I have decided a redesign is in order.. Here's my first draft of a new redesign.. just wondering what people think?

widdlerswee-mk2.jpg

Its completely different than how it currently looks :)

oooh i like- only thing i dont like is how empty it feels at the bottom (and the glow behind the logo) :p

and i'm glad you did something aobut it as your current site looks liek this on my mbp (safari 4)

Screenshot2009-10-14at104017.png

Yeah its all a bit bonkers on the site at the moment.. I agree the bottom seems a bit empty.. it was just an idea.. needs some more development at the bottom :)

thanks for your feedback Timbo :)

tis coo.

i think a good change would the background being straight horizontal, not slightly angled too, it'd make it seem a lot more together ...? :)

Hey Chris,

I agree with Tim. It looks a bit empty in the bottom. Maybe you could put the bottom content in to a box as well? I really dislike the glow around the logo also.

I'd try to remove the stroke around the white box as well, and just use the contrast of the background to separate. Perhaps also try with some different tones of the wood. It also seems a little narrow, and I think it could look too small on 1680x1050 and above? Perhaps increase the width of the site to 960px?

Hope that helps in some way mate!

cheers for the input Soren :) its good to have input from other designers :) i want to make a site that would be easy to use for people wanting to use our recipes :D

Chris, I like it, but I really liked the allotment factor of your original site, the wildflowers background.The Widdlers Wee (not that I know much about it) comes across as a wholesome mud covered project with plenty of natural goodness and environmentally sound growmanship not conveyed by the laminate flooring background you have now :D

I really destroyed my coffee and walnut btw......

cackcake.jpg

:cry:

aww Tom that sucks.. try our Carrot Cake :) really tasty that is :D

Yeah I think we were looking at using a plant type image.. its trying to find the right sort of image to use in the bg :)

I preffer the current site to be honest Chris... I think it sits well with what your doing, recipes/allotment homegrown type thing.

I know the new one is a work in progress but it looks very under-designed, very bland with use of type etc... sorry

chrismitchell said:
aww Tom that sucks.. try our Carrot Cake :) really tasty that is :D

Yeah I think we were looking at using a plant type image.. its trying to find the right sort of image to use in the bg :)

Similar to what you had before but check out Mr Mason from Littlehampton's allotment!

Mr_Masons_Allotment.jpg

:up:

Something like that, lots of green fingered natural colours

:) I do prefer the current site too Andy :) (thanks for your help on it by the way).. Its really just to see if something else will work too :D

I do agree that I think it needs to be more homegrown style thing .. I'll probably look at an amalgamation :)

cant wait to get stuck into my allotment in a couple of weeks :D

chrismitchell said:
cant wait to get stuck into my allotment in a couple of weeks :D

Why not use a pic of your allotment as the background that way it will evolve alongside your site and change with the seasons. Choose a photo angle, update the pic every 2-3 months. :up:

Its a bit of a mess at the moment.. but thats a good idea :) got to get the fence in and then start rotovating the ground :) then I could take a piccie :) good idea :D

I like Tom's idea of changing the pic with the seasons. :up:

I just remembered that I built this site a couple of weeks ago (designed by one of my colleagues) and thought it might give you a bit of inspiration as it's kind of along the same lines (or it might prove completely useless to you hehe :)).

The Edible Garden Show - Home

I do like that Soren :) looks like what I was trying to achieve before the current site ... I think it might end up being something inbetween what I have at the moment and what I put on this thread :)

I remember a design on your site that was there before the one (hideous) design Tim showed. Was that a theme perhaps? It looked really nice.

With your new design I'm wondering what you're other pages will look like. Looks like a pretty narrow site to put a blog on...

I like the way it looks cleaner, but I'm not sure about the background either. I'll have a think hopefully once my arm has stopped hurting things will be clearer!

mrp2049 said:
I like the way it looks cleaner, but I'm not sure about the background either. I'll have a think hopefully once my arm has stopped hurting things will be clearer!

What happened to your arm? :)

Back