Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does football suck?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jazajay, Dec 28, 2008.

Which is better?

1. Rugby/American Football

0 vote(s)
  2. Football/Soccer

1 vote(s)
  3. Other

3 vote(s)
  1. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Hay guys and gals.
    I was watching some football something or other last night, apparently there was no paint drying that I could have watched instead. :D

Any way while watching some apparent highlights which made me think at least I have not wasted 90 mins of my life with that, it made me think why do people actually watch it?

Why not watch an actual "mans", or "hard ass womens", sport such as Rugby?

I mean every football match I have ever watched, TBH they can be counted on 1 hand, thier always seems to be people getting tapped, and tapped being the right word thier, in the anckle falling over then getting for some strange reason strechered off, I mean it must be one bad briuse to need a strecher.

When in Rugby people go off have thier head shaved, stiches put in, with no anaesthic and are back on the field playing, o yeah no strecters where needed as they are not pansys and walked off like a man or a hard ass women for that, but the more important thing being got on with the game.

So any one want to offer an opinion to why it is apparently the greatest game in the world? :lol:

For our American counter-parts the same anellergy could be made between American Football and Soccer.

Cheers, awaiting the hatred and the huge barrage abuse that is about to hit me.....
  2. Gaz

Gaz Member

Yeh i hate it too, it's not just cos its an nonsy, crap, boring, barindead sport. loads of sports are. I hate it cos of the following it has and the impact that that has on our country. Rugby is considered a tougher sport as you demonstrated but the crowds never fight or riot, they are maturer. Football fans think it's good to start fights and hurl abuse and pass it on to their children and so on.
  3. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

American Football ?

Have you seen the size of the helmets, shoulder pads, and protection they wear?

They dont even play a full 90minutes (or is it 80?) - its all mass substitutions and possession play.

And yeah modern day footballers are overpaid pansies - try watching some proper local football - real local lower league stuff.

Watch Blyth Spartans when they play Blackburn in the third round of the cup - they'll be diving on broken glass to get the win.

Now cue my abuse.
  4. tim

tim Senior Member

I can't believe you don't like football/soccer!

It may be completely ponsy at some times (I'm giving you that one willingly), but there is skill in it!

Despite that, I think it's the most popular sport because it's so easy to play. And it gives you a great sense of accomplishment when you do play it!... well unless you suck at it! You can just pick up a ball and kick it against a wall if you want to do something with your spare time. And, if you're that bothered, learning skills makes you feel good!

Also, if you get to playing it at a certain level, you may understand the skills people have... I used to play for aston villa youths when I was 8 or 9, and it's not as simple as it looks!
  5. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Skill o don't get me started, what in falling over and crying like a baby, unitl a mob of grown ups come with a strecher to help him off the field?

In Rugby we play round our wounded and our wounded tend to actually be wounded, blood pooring from a gash, genunie concushion that sort of thing, they wait till the play is suitable to stop not the other way around.

Rugby you have to pass the ball backwards to go forward, remember an infinite possibilities of line out calls if you are a forward, then remember which way on which 20 - 40% of those infinite calls you have to turn, lift, offer support, jump, or go with a quick throw to the poor guy at the front, who in most circumstances is garenteed about a 2 metre run unitl he goes down with the whole opposing pack on him.

Then on top of that you have the countless calls and formation plays for penalties where the whole team, sorry pack backs are as bad as football players IMO, have to act as 1 or you get hit hard and lose the ball.

All of the time you are trying to make sure the pansy backs don't get it on your team because if they do you are garenteed a thrid of the pitch run just for your trouble. Now that's skill.

I mean please.

But Gaz does have a valid point when the England Rugby team play in the Rugby world cup o yeah we won ours not like a 1966 job, ha, the clean up cost of the hosting city is not in the millions.

Cut me some slack rossnorthernunion we do have some yanks amounst us, but I do agree maybe I should have re-worded it why is Rugby the best sport on the planet. :lol:
    But yeah I do agree thier protection is a bit on the mental side, neck restraints, helments non studded boots, knee guards, arm guards, cups, body armour when we play in boots with dozens of inch studs on the bottom of our boots and is more physical.

The episode of freinds where Ross goes to play Rugby with some Brits, and he is chosing what position he wants to play in and cant make his mind up because in the Rugby game he is watching everyone gets tackled "brutally", they are quite gently actually but hay, comes to mind right now. :D
  6. tim

tim Senior Member

Rugby isn't a man's game! It's just a game that idiots play to show other men they can look less like a male species than any other person in the world!

A real man's game would be watching a game whilst lazing around on the nearest available sofa (soccer/football or rugby/american football or maybe even snooker), talking about things that don't matter whilst everyone else is moaning that that specific game is on.

Or maybe a real man's game is coding/ web or graphic designing.

Pfft, what am I saying. We're all geeks!
  7. tim

tim Senior Member

And football isn't just falling over! The portuguese introduced that (eherm RONALDO eherm).

Looking over a GOOD football/soccer game, you'll see players do have to calculate everything. They have to think how much spin they put upon a ball (if any), who's going where, the tactics they talked about, where they'll go after they've taken a skilled through ball/lob or whatever and most importantly, why their wife always smells of their boss' fragrance.
  8. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Errr thats just what it is, there is no skill in it.

I mean some people can just kick a ball slightly better than other people can, it's not skill it's called fitness and kicking. :D
  9. tim

tim Senior Member

OMG you're so wrong!!! :D
  10. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

You appear to be living in denial, TBH lol :D
  11. tim

tim Senior Member

Apologies... I respect you and all your knowledge... but this, you're wrong about!
  12. tim

tim Senior Member

But TBH, it's an opinion. So you can't be wrong.

Oh well.
  13. berry

berry Active Member

Come to St James Park sometime.....

Players are only interested in putting the huge diamond stud back into the left lobe and getting into the Bentley. Kids with too much money and no values. It's a business run by businessmen not a sport anymore. The only skill is what your agent can get you. Drama Queens.
  14. tim

tim Senior Member

I gotta say, I do agree with you on some things.

Football is obviously a very, very well paid sport. Yes, there is too much politics and money involved which leads to managers, players, etc turning into selfish morons (could describe them another way, but I won't) who can do some serious damage, but that's not just it.

"The only skill is what your agent can get you." - Hmm, I'm not so sure. It'd take me about 40 minutes to explain how I truly feel about football etc, so I'm not going to go into it... but for young players to get into a good team, they need real talent. They won't have money until they actually play matches. Obviously.

As I live in Brum, I've been to a few Villa games which has shown me how much players only care about their money though, so I do agree with you on that. I'm appaulled that they get £10,000 boots every time they start a new match, and I'm appaulled that 19 year olds own seventeen million cars, stately homes and other things such as these... and Villa are a pretty average team money-wise.

Either way, all that matters is that we're cooler than them.