WHOIS Directory

@GCarlD

Hi guys,

A couple months ago I purchased a new domain on behalf of a client for their website. After a short while, we started getting calls from web designers offering their services to build a website for the domain. I understand that they obtained our details from who.is, and when I looked into this further I soon found out that they list domains with the date of purchase etc, pretty much all the information you would need to make contact. A spammers dream I suppose. Once I sorted out the privacy of the domain the calls stopped, as the details were no longer available on whois.

Couple questions:

1/ Is this still possible? As I cannot seem to find where within the WhoIs directory, lists of domains and the dates in which they were purchased.

2/ Have you ever gained new clients in this way? Or do most people like myself find it to be a spammy nuisance, cold calling in this way...? Or is it ok as long as you go about it in a professional manner?...

1. Are you asking if domain protection is enough, i.e. is there another method someone could use to find your details?

2. I'd never even consider it. Looking up the registrar for an empty domain and then getting in contact in an attempt to win them as a client just reeks of desperation to me. It's like someone knocking on your door out of the blue and telling you you need a new roof or something. Just seems dodgy to me. Maybe it's a lucrative way in that I just haven't explored, but for a number of reasons it brings to mind bottom-feeder designers. It's worse than annoying cold-callers, but I don't think quite as bad as the SEO/marketing experts who constantly get in touch, yet only have generic Gmail email addresses.

If I had someone ring me up after just registering a domain I'd tell them to go do one....

1. Are you asking if domain protection is enough, i.e. is there another method someone could use to find your details?

That would be good to know, but I meant is it still possible to gain this information on whois, or have they stopped making such lists available to the public? I know if you search for a domain on the directory it gives you information about that domain, which is fine. But what about the list of random domains that I came across a couple of months ago? Is this still active? I was quite shocked by it at the time.

2. I'd never even consider it. Looking up the registrar for an empty domain and then getting in contact in an attempt to win them as a client just reeks of desperation to me. It's like someone knocking on your door out of the blue and telling you you need a new roof or something. Just seems dodgy to me. Maybe it's a lucrative way in that I just haven't explored, but for a number of reasons it brings to mind bottom-feeder designers. It's worse than annoying cold-callers, but I don't think quite as bad as the SEO/marketing experts who constantly get in touch, yet only have generic Gmail email addresses.

Pretty much in line with my thoughts. I was wondering whether I was missing the bigger picture, as I have never considered it, until it happened to me a week after purchasing a new domain. Following the calls / emails from different web developers / designers, I thought, "are they onto something here'. That being said, I'm not against making phone calls offering my services to businesses that actually need them, even if they may not realise it until our phone conversation. So I guess that is basically cold calling, but how else would I grow my business. I'm not running a big or even medium-sized business to be in a position to wait for the phone to ring. I have even walked into businesses, spoken to the owner / managing director, told them how shit their website, and marketing material was (in a nice, polite, professional manner of course), and offered my services face to face. Takes a bit of balls doing things like that, but I got hired!

t's like someone knocking on your door out of the blue and telling you you need a new roof or something.

This does happen haha. I've had people knock my door offering equipment for soft water production. They were from a reputable company. Did I need their product? Not really... Albeit, if I didn't have more important things to spend my money on, then why not? Did I purchase their product? No.

Back