Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who got a new iphone today?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Tom Sound, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Anyone? Anyone? :confused:

2. nope :( can't afford it just yet :( boo :(

3. Swan

Swan Junior Member

Waiting for my next payday and deciding whether to go contact or PAYG, myself. Leaning toward just going PAYG, because I think I'll be better off in the long run.

4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

5. I was wondering what you would say Levi :lol: :)

What has happened to Timbo.. i'm surprised he's not piped in with something :lol:

6. Levi

well there is one thing which I do hate, it's that the decent phones (ie not an iPhone :p) seem to miss out on cool cases like this

7. thats cause other "decent phones" aren't generally used by designer types.. and those designer types who make the cool cases all use iPhones and want their iPhones to look cool :)

But i do agree it is a shame that you can't get that sort of case for other phones like the Blackberry :) then it wouldn't look like such a terrible handset (i don't like Blackberry's at all personally).

8. Levi

Me neither, never seen the point in them, I've had access to email (their main selling point) on just about every phone I've had for the last 10 years if I wanted it. How much have I used it - not too much to be honest lol

9. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I love that wooden iPhone4 case....

10. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Ok I got to it first,

Peoples thought's....is it really that much better?

I await Timothy's reply on the low down!

11. do you think its better Glen? :)

12. Becky

Becky Member

Orange are failing at releasing my PAC code so I couldn't get one today. Will go on Vodafone's waitlist once it arrives :(

13. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

I love my HTC Desire, so there's not much point for me in getting the new iPhone. It does look nice, but not so fussed about what my phone looks like, and I really like the Android OS. :)

14. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

One of my friends is in the long line, phoned vodafone as for an upgrade to it and is waiting for them to stock it.

I wouldn't mind one, but I am very much mid contract, so I will wait a while.

Chris, you are blackberry? So i spend an afternoon emailing you when we could have BB messengered it up? You missed out on some major smiley action!

15. i'm not on a blackberry Mike :p i'm on an iPhone :)

16. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

imo its not worth another £500 on PAYG, I would get it if my contract was up however again i cannot justify spending all the money for all these new devices that do just aabou he ame job...dont gt me wrong its a lovely device I had a play with the iphone 4 yesterday.

People spends thousands on all these devices..ipads etc etc, just making Mr Jobs rich in my opinion...people must have money to throw away these days, I'd rather save and buy a hoinda civic GTR (which am doing now) rather than buy all these daft devices...iphone 3gs does the job for me really well, i love it...everything I nee in my pocket apart from a new girlfriend haha!

17. Levi

Might want to decide if you want a honda or a nissan :p

honda is type r and nissan is gtr. There looks to be a civic type R GT though personally I'd pick the nissan gtr anyday over a honda :).

18. tim

tim Senior Member

do me a favour levi.

turn your phone off, send me a text.

i love my 4 btw. photo and video better than evo. that's all i'm gonna say. even the 3gs has better quality than the evo.

f*cking fast, incredible to hold, great at what it says it's great at.

what i mean to say here is you go looking for issues, you'll find issues. there'll always be a percentage of phones that have problems.

here's problems with the latest evo 4g. supposedly the iphone 4 killer.

(selling way less than iphone btw but we'll get to that later when you claim apple are sh*t)

YouTube - EVO 4G Screen Issues - Ungrounded Screen
    HTC EVO 4G Glass Separating from Body
    HTC Evo 4G Issues Linked To Horrid Design?
    HTC Evo 4G problems pile up | VentureBeat

desire:

HTC Desire Having Some GPS Issues | Gizmodo Australia
    HTC Desire vibration and WiFi issues - xda-developers

i cba to search for more.

point being. have 99.9% of the owners of these phones have these issues? no.

will they get them? maybe.

you cant release a new phone without uncovering issues.

nor can you release a phone and expect 100% of the new owners to be educated.

back to my first sentence.

i have had no problems with mine.

get a glass out of your cupboard for me.

drop it. see if it lasts 5 times.

the second time he dropped that it switched off. he doesn't know how to reset it.

oh and good one taking links off gizmodo, probably the only tech blog not allowed any communication or link with apple ever again.

my work here is done. ill be back in a couple of weeks after not working 15hr shifts 5 consecutive days in a row.

love y'all.

19. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

He shoots, he scores....Tim Strikes Back.

20. Levi

ok I need your number so I can send it via a computer instead.

which way would that be

I agree with that and there's always going to be a higher proportion of issues reported than happy customers but the fact is the reception issue is looking like it's down to poor design. It's either that or they just never did the ergonomics study on how to hold a phone.

um normally you hold onto a phone when you're drawing on it so I don't see the video as a major issue. As to the iPhone killer, first off if the iPhone was the killer phone it's supposed to be I'd have one (I'm a tech junkie after all) and second how can the evo (US only for one thing) be a killer when it's on one network using due to using 4G, and not even a major us carrier. Besides personally I would rather have the droid X if I was going for a 4.3" screen phone especially considering we can't use the 4G on the evo (the droid x will eventually come to UK I would assume like the original droid).

It's on sprint so what do you expect, hell even I know sprint has tiny market share compared with at&t and verizon!

did I say that other phones did not have issues?
    Did I say 'every' iPhone was having the issue, nope I said you MIGHT have an issue plus I offered a solution if you did :up:.

I could have easily listed of other things such as the volume buttons being reversed (it happens), the yellow screen issues (looking like it's the screen 'glue'), issues with the mic and external speaker at top of phone (probably shorting out somewhere ) but those sort of things are things which can happen easily enough.

But not being able to hold the phone like normal due to touching the metal in the wrong way is a pretty fundamental thing to have 'not' found out wouldn't you say or maybe the whole reason apple decided to do the 'bumpers' was due to them knowing there's a flaw in their external antenna.

The other possibilities are apple missed the issue due to 'hiding' the new phone in a fake case while testing or maybe a manufacturing issue has prevented the metal surround being coated in a clear finish to prevent the cross antenna earthing which is taking place. There's a rumored software patch coming, yet most people feel the issue is hardware related not software because it only happens when it's held left handed.

But like I said in the first thread on the iPhone, there's a reason most other phones hide the antenna inside the casing. Even the old external antenna's on phones (talking 5-10 years ago now) had a plastic/rubber coating on them so we didn't touch bare metal.

what in how to hold the phone?

Tim I very much doubt you'd admit to issues with yours even if it didn't work.

a glass doesn't cost around 500 quid (or contract) and isn't so much of an issue if you drop it. I've dropped my phone more than 5 times when pulling out of my pocket and it's still working fine - why maybe because it's not made of glass and rigid aluminium, a certain amount of flex in a product can sometimes be to it's benefit (oh yeah I mentioned that might be an issue in the last thread, damned training in product design is haunting me even now :rolleyes:)

I could have picked engadget, macrumors, phone dog, just about any other 'phone' blog or maybe even the apple support forum. Gizmodo just happened to have all the information in one place.