Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Does Your Email?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jimlad, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I was just curious really. Years ago I had a hotmail account. Like most of us I probably have an unused account with my Internet Service Provider too. Right now I use Google, but I'm looking into alternatives. Quite tempted to use my domain but that apparently would involve paying 123-Reg for a mailbox if I want to do more than just recieve. Google Apps is no longer free (which I found out tonight much to my annoyance, and took forever to delete my account much to my headache).
    So who do you get your email with?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

hotmail (well now outlook) - 3 email addresses (got the .co.uk and .com and outlook of my name). The .com is used for 'junk mail' and forum sign ups etc etc, basically anything that isn't really important. .co.uk and outlook purely so I have 'my name'.
    gmail - android, google related stuff goes there automatically and some contests
    domain name, well it's actually part of my hosting package - my business emails + a personal account which I use for purchases, digital communications from tax man etc, this isn't used for junk, well if you exclude the daily amazon mailings telling me about stuff I've already bought - they really need a new algorithm :angry: .

Jim, who does your hosting... doesn't the hosting package include email, most do these days, because this would likely be your best option. You're already paying for the hosting etc.
    ps. you website link in your sig isn't working

3. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

That sounds like a lot of emails Levi!
    My site is hosted with (and designed using) Squarespace, which lets me tinker and tweak the hell out of it. The included-in-the-price domain I chose at the time was JimAlgarIllustration.com but have since bought algarillustration.com and been messin on with the DNS settings this evening so they may take a while to right themselves. I'll check it in the morning, though on my iPhone it seems to work if you type http:// instead of https://.... It's all a mystery to me.

4. Levi

it's not actually that many emails, I only really use 1 of the hotmails and the domain ones, gmails pretty quiet. I could if I wanted to add email server to my nas too but can't be bothered with that one:)
    I'll check your site again tomorrow, it may not have propagated with other dns servers yet.
    As to squarespace, you'd need to move up to the middle package meaning it's likely cheaper to use something else.
    You could get away with the 'free' email option on your domain, you could do a 'redirect' of the emails to gmail/outlook although any outgoing mail would be gmail/outlook address.

5. balders

balders Member

An old AOL one from abbot 25 years ago. I can't bring myself to get rid of it.Main everyday personal one is a gmail. Dummy one for singing into crap (mostly insurance comparison sites) is an old hotmail one.At work we currently have a gmail business account but we are in the process to switching over to a windows hosted exchange and getting O365 on a few mechanics. There is another one at work for a sister part of the company.That's it, I think.

6. The Simulator

The Simulator Active Member

I have my hotmail address for signing up to spammy things and then use my domain for a couple of addresses which is all done through my host.

7. I just have three email accounts. My main one, which is myname@mydomain.co.uk and then accounts@mydomain.co.uk - I use that email for anything non client related, and usually for signing up to stuff with. That way I know that when I get an email in my main account, it's probably going to be important. Oh and I have a DF email address too.
    I am a hosting reseller, so I host my own email addresses. You can get email hosting really cheaply, and I think most, if not all hosting providers (that aren't attached to those 'type' of website/portfolio services) give it pretty much free of charge with your hosting and it's really easy to set up if you get cPanel hosting.

8. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I wouldn't check just yet. Discovered its not working at all this morning, checked the DNS and discovered I hadn't re-entered the A Record, just the CNAME. I was rather tired from trying to delete my Google Apps account for 3 (yes, three!) hours so... I've reset the whole thing and re-entered the A Record and CNAME so here's hoping it all sews back together again.
    I've considered using a mail redirect for free, and my email address as it stands isn't that unprofessional, though I might get a new one that matches my domain slightly more. I suppose I'm looking at my whole online "thing" right now and trying to weave-in a little more consistency.
    And the reason I went with a site like Squarespace is partly the DIY element of the site-building being simple and self-maintained, but it also allows me to implement a shop (which I'm in the process of setting up) and lets me do lots of things instantly that just would take longer otherwise. I wasn't really thinking about my email at the time I suppose, a mistake I won't repeat in future, but in the meantime I think I'll go with a forwarding solution. And the Middle-Tier package doesn't seem to include an email by the way I read it, just a Google Apps sync... which might amount to the same thing but no way am I bothering with Google Apps again, things a damn mess in my opinion.
    So yeah. Either a bit of forwarding or maybe a mailbox with my domain host... it's not that expensive...

9. Levi

Jim, I didn't mean using squarespace was bad, had a look at some of it's themes a while back and liked one with parallax scrolling, what I meant was that it would likely be cheaper going with a dedicated mail host over moving up to the middle package :).

10. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I agree with you there Levi. Though that whole automatic sync with a Facebook page looks mighty tempting... Still, I can always spend 10mins to update a Facebook page independently.

11. You can do that just as easily with some plugins, which aren't hard to set up.

12. Jonna Healey

Jonna Healey Member

I have 3, an old Hotmail account for forwarding any emails over as I transitioned to Google when I got my Android mobile. Then moved to iOS but kept Googlemail as I like it's simplicity. I also have a work email. Mostly check my emails using the 'All Accounts' view so I don't have to check each mailbox separately on my mobile, and I use the Mail app on my mac for syncing all my emails, so it's nice and easy.
    Went off Hotmail when they changed things over to the new style, just before they switched to Outlook. Not used it in a while, so it may have improved.
    It's not ideal, but if you went to use the free address and forwarded to your Outlook, if you're using the software you can usually set the 'Send From' field to indicate which email address the recipient sees, if that makes any sense.

13. floriographic

floriographic Member

Use hotmail for junk and personal emails and a google apps for business. It is annoying that they're not free anymore, glad i got mine before they changed it!

14. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Well I've currently set up 3 different forwarders with 123-reg and not a single one of them works. At all. No email reaching my gmail account from them in any way. Not best pleased!

15. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

123-reg are nasty. They seem to charge for anything extra. I wouldn't buy anything through them if I were you. I'd just look to get everything transferred away ASAP.
    I have Hotmail for old personal stuff, then use the email accounts attached to my relevant hosting packages for other websites I run.

Jimlad likes this.
  16. Jimlad if you want any help setting your email accounts up elsewhere, feel free to send me a PM.

Jimlad likes this.
  17. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Tony is there anyone you'd recommend transferring my domains to? Preferably with a nice easy to use control panel. Actually maybe that should be another topic...

18. Hi Jim,
    123-reg are actually pretty decent, but only, and I repeat only for holding domain names. If you need other services then I would most certainly look elsewhere. Are you going to be transferring all of your hosting or do you just want to set up your email hosting with a new service provider?
    Regardless, most businesses and professionals will have their web hosting and their email hosting bundled into the same package, because it's just much easier to deal with and simpler to set up. If you are looking to do this then you will need to change your domains nameservers to move everything over to a new host. This will result in a few hours or so of downtime for your website and emails, it's known as propagation and is simply the time it takes for all of the new settings to come into effect. As a hosting re-seller, I will usually do these changes at an off-peak time of the day and week, such as Saturday night to ensure that the impact is minimised as much as possible.
    If your planning on keeping your website where it is and want to set up just your email accounts with someone else, this is again possible but you will need to access your domains DNS settings and change all of the necessary server details to make it point to the new server.
    Most hosting providers these days can offer you 99% uptime and generally I have found this to be relatively accurate, minus a couple of horrendous companies. Unfortunately as they all brand themselves identically, it's difficult to tell which ones are the good ones and which are the bad. I get my hosting re-seller account, which allows me to sell their hosting services, from VidaHost. They're a good company and whilst their tech support can struggle at times they are fast to respond, a decent sized company and provide a great service.
    I would avoid those £2/3 a month hosting offers, as you definitely get what you pay for with hosting and if they aren't sacrificing your uptime or general server speed, then they will cut costs everywhere else.
    The standard software for professional hosting is cPanel and is very easy to use with lots of features (seriously, tons) ready for use straight out of the box, most hosting companies use this software for these reasons.
    If you want to discuss setting up a hosting account or have any other technical questions then feel free to PM or email me :)

19. floriographic

floriographic Member

I have a couple of forwarders through 123 reg and haven't had any problems with them. I don't have any actual email addresses with them though, just hosting so thats all i pay for but it's all been fine so far.