Which Typeface?

Matt_Harrison

Hey Guys,

I'm designing brand identity for an agency who provide web and mobile design and development. We've narrowed down choice of typefaces to the five here (please see attached PDF).

After consultation and questionnaires, the client decided he most wanted his brand to be associated with the following words:

The 4 most important words:

Professional
Fresh
Knowledgeable
Modern

2 quite important words:

Talented
Caring
Integrity

It'd be great to get some feedback from other designers out there. Which typeface do you think best fits the perception desired by the brand? Please vote in the poll or post your thoughts below.

Many thanks,

Matt

Attachments

• faces_WDF_revised.pdf
    98.4 KB · Views: 27
'2quite important words'? you have 3 :)

I'm drawn straight away to number 1:FF Signa Bold, really like the loop on the g. I think it's the closest to covering those words.
But a second choice might be number 4:Eljibris Museo 700.

Is there any more to the branding?Colours, idents etc?
Maybe some colour might help fit the perception? Adapt the g to represent a spring?

Would like to see where this goes :)

Maybe it's just my association of 'indie' with music etc but I don't feel any of those font's really work with the name....

If I go with the list up top it would be 1 or 4, the others are quite 'dated' in terms of modern type

Hey unbornik,

You don't miss a thing! I would edit the post but then yours would have the mistake and I'm not that kind of guy ;)

Thanks for your thoughts. Both myself and my client are veering towards 1+4. Good to know it's not just me pushing a personal preference.

My client has a slight reservation about 1:

1 is the most gamey. It would look fantastic as a splash screen and is very techy and scifi. Do you think it might be too far that way? Are we just coming across as young boys making games with that typeface. That said I can also see it on invoices etc. It looks fantastic black on white and white on black I think. Some of the balance gets to me, the n, d and p seem very unbalanced but that might be a good thing.

I can understand his point, it's not a million miles away from klavika and with the Facebook association, it could look a bit generic.

We're heading more down a season of spring concept rather than a mechanical spring. It's fits with their 'organic' business model.

I will keep this thread going and share the process with you.

#1 and then 4. It's hard to look "modern" with a serif. #4 is more narrow which I like...stands out a bit.

Ok, just an initial concept for a mark. What are your thoughts? Going down the spring (water and trees) route. Difficult to design for a web company without looking too tech. It's just made of a single vector shape and scales very well.

We want the mark to be able to stand alone and be recognised (favicons, business card reverse etc)

Hate it? Love it? Need more work?

Thanks

Attachments

• logo.pdf
    57.9 KB · Views: 20
Hi Matt,

I like the concept and the simplicity of the mark. Also nice to see the use of negative space.

Although if you looked at the mark without knowing the individual elements beforehand (particularly on its own) would you still recognise it as a water droplet & a tree? It kinda reminds me of BBQ tongs :p

Maybe work on it a little more, bring in the trunk of the tree? which would show more of the droplet but might not scale down as well.

Nice start though, nice to see it coming together

P.S. About not missing a thing....you missed out the second 'n' in unbornink :D

Yeah, what he said ^^^^

treedrop.jpg

:up:

i honestly think #1 is the least inspiring and dated.

#4 Museo is very 'in' at the moment but that could go out of fashion, but it is the best of the 4.

unbornink said:
Would like to see where this goes :)

Hey unbornink,

Just thought I'd keep you updated. This is where we're at now. The client didn't like the tree idea so we're going down more of a water route now.

Checked out your site, some amazing work on there. Bit tricky to nav at the moment though, but I see it's not finished yet.

Thanks,

Matt

Attachments

• logomark.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 15
Hey Matt,

Great work, Its developing nicely. Love the choice of colours!

I personally prefer the 2nd concept with the droplets in a circle, not as keen with the 'flower' concept. I did wonder what it would look like with just one droplet.
Strapline works nicely too.

Thanks for checking out my work. definitely a WIP, not getting enough time to spend on it as I would like, but when do you ever! Still can't get round the resizing issue :(

unbornink said:
Hey Matt,

Great work, Its developing nicely. Love the choice of colours!

I personally prefer the 2nd concept with the droplets in a circle, not as keen with the 'flower' concept. I did wonder what it would look like with just one droplet.
Strapline works nicely too.

Thanks for checking out my work. definitely a WIP, not getting enough time to spend on it as I would like, but when do you ever! Still can't get round the resizing issue :(

Thanks! I'm hoping we get something that the client really likes.

What is the problem with your resizing? Have you tried this

Code:
whatever_element {        background: url(images/bg.jpg) no-repeat center center fixed;        -webkit-background-size: cover;        -moz-background-size: cover;        -o-background-size: cover;        background-size: cover;}

Does this make you feel any different about the 'flower' concept?

press.png

I have tried that one, and many other options but nothing seems to work. Might have to think of a different approach.

I do like that version a lot more than the previous. could also been seen as '*' though. Just have to decide what your willing to live with ( or the client is willing to)

Back