Which one is better????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hdsded

I have installed two tools "Google Analytic" and "Statcounter" to my website. Both work the same but Statcounter give different result than the Analytic.
What you think which one is better. I know some guys would prefer "Google Analytic" because Analytic word starts with the word Google... !!!! ;)

Never heard of statcounter, I use Piwik myself, the free, open source alternative. I need to do some more research into it all but I have a sneaking suspicion that Google Analytics is simply the better tool.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Never heard of statcounter, I use Piwik myself, the free, open source alternative. I need to do some more research into it all but I have a sneaking suspicion that Google Analytics[color=#ff0000;] was[/color] simply the better tool.
Not so sure about how useful google analytics is anymore since the 'privacy' rules and eu money grabbing that have been popping up have seemed to have made some of googles services a LOT more limited. Since the move to make google searches private (https instead of http) the results aren't being sent to google analytics. You will be getting a lot of 'not provided' or 'not defined' under keywords unless of course you are paying for adwords (funny that...).
Not sure if setting 'keywords' would help (got to look into it more) but it's no longer automatically generated search results and the same issue is being reported by the likes of mint and piwik... this is simply a case of stupid privacy laws (ill thought out cookie policy anyone) being taken TOO far.
edit: side note, Sean is piwik any good, been considering it over google analytics as it's 'inhouse'...

There is no doubt on the quality of google analytics, it is the best ,but moz analytics is also somewhat useful

@Arinna

HI Arianna

"Google Analytic" because Analytic word starts with the word Google
This totally depends on your prespective. If your budget for Analytics software is: Free, then yeah, there are a few alternatives. However, if you work more in the corporate world then for £1,500 a month you can get far better systems; but, these are designed to work with a data warehouse and in-house data marketing teams.

Things to consider:
  1. Are both tracking codes on all pages?
  2. Are you using the classic or universal analytics tracking code?
  3. What is the discrepency you are seeing - please do not say visitors?
  4. What metrics are you comparing exactly between the 2?
Metrics that seem the same between the 2 can be totally different and reporting on completely different things.

@Levi

Not so sure about how useful google analytics is anymore since the 'privacy' rules and eu money grabbing that have been popping up have seemed to have made some of googles services a LOT more limited. Since the move to make google searches private (https instead of http) the results aren't being sent to google analytics. You will be getting a lot of 'not provided' or 'not defined' under keywords unless of course you are paying for adwords (funny that...).
Not entirely accurate. :)

What has happened is to stop the privacy lobbiest getting too much in terms of legislation against them, Google has made a very clever move (way before the EU interveened) to start limiting search data. From September this year this will also include Adwords matched search query data as well from going into Analytics.

The results aren't just being stopped from being sent to Analytics, they have stopped being recieved by every Analytic tool that tries to get access to them. Firefox started the not set off years ago by the way. Google, then played nice (as Google still has access to it).

Jaz

Jazajay said:
. Google, then played nice (as Google still has access to it).

Jaz
which isn't of any use to them whatsoever.... of course it won't be used to help them sell their adverts etc.... :rolleyes:

Honestly they could have made the change better than what they did, they could have left the search terms and just removed any trace of user ip/location etc.

Well that would be pointless as they don't track any PII - and remove Geographical data - that would be far worse for 90% of most businesses?

The search term the user used is relatively illrelevent if you are creating and focusing on a customer-focused website anyway, due to the fact that 75% of search is long tail.

They are figures / terms that are used by people who don't really dig deeper into the data to say well I'm doing alright - I mean creating engagement analysis and breaking down time on site metrics is far more impressive information to know, or examing the path report to see how different parts of the marketing mix work together and justfying advertising expendture on brand terms, or the navigation summary report to discover bottlenecks in the site that need correcting - or augmenting the system entirely to get exactly the actionable data you want from it.

Knowing the search terms people used to get to your site would be nice to know; but, so what if the site still doesn't convert?

Your site should be turning up for relevent terms and the digital marketeer should be far more focused on improving the customer journey and removing micro actions that don't justify anything; but, lose revenue. :)

One of the main reporting sections that most people ignore is the behaviour and navigation summary reports. Filter that by landing page with the most entrances and then view bounce rate in conjunction with implamenting engangement goal analysis and you have just increased sales and leads / on your way without knowing the exact terms people used to find you. :)

Jaz

Quality of google analytics, it is the best ,but moz analytics is also somewhat useful.The Google Analytics Platform lets you measure user interactions with your business across various devices and environments, at Google speed and scale. Gain new insights and optimize the performance of your business.

I advise you to use kissmetrics ,the main difference between analytics and kiss metrics is that analytics tell you what's happening but kissmetrics will tell you who is doing,very useful tool

The problem with Google Analytics is that it doesn't provide top queries against which, your site appeared in SERPs. Instead it says, (not set). Does anybody has any idea how to unlock this or it's because of the privacy rules as mentioned by the Levi? Thanks

Google analytics is much better as it is google product

Politically motivated links removed - Levi, Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back