Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Monitor?

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by Stationery Direct, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I have been to my local PC World to look at Monitors and to be honest is was a complete waste of time. So I am looking to buy a monitor online and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? When I find one I think will do the job I then read the reviews both good and bad which makes it difficult to decide.

Size: 27"-29"
    Budget: £500 (no more really)
    Uses: General day to day internet, Photoshop, Illustrator

Was looking at Dell U2713HM & Dell U2711

2. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

One thing that may seem obvious to you, but maybe not to others, is to make sure your computer can support the resolutions of the monitor. I have one person who commandeered a spare 24 inch Dell monitor, and their computer cannot display at the right resolution, as a result everything is stretched.

As you suspect the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM is a very fine monitor.

BenQ, Acer and LG all make excellent monitors.

LG are excellent because they use the assembly company as Samsung in Korea, and very similar OEM part numbers.

I'd recommend these

The one you were looking at
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultras...=UTF8&qid=1407753365&sr=1-23&keywords=monitor

Some other choices
    BenQ XL2720Z 27-inch LED Gaming Monitor (1000:1, 300 cd/m2, 1920 x 1080, 1 ms, VGA/DVI-DL/HDMI/DP): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-T272HL...e=UTF8&qid=1407753365&sr=1-8&keywords=monitor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PB278Q-Wide...=UTF8&qid=1407753365&sr=1-15&keywords=monitor

I have to say - I love this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-29EA93-2...=UTF8&qid=1407753365&sr=1-16&keywords=monitor

Stationery Direct likes this.
  3. hankscorpio

Actually forget the last one - it's not as described on Amazon - from what I can garner from online reviews is that you can't use it as a ultrawide desktop with a hdmi cable, you need a display port cable.

Hmm - it's still pretty sweet though.

4. Stationery Direct

Nope I did not know this, so how do I find it if what I have will work? (Dell Vostro 430 - Windows 7)

5. hankscorpio

Do you have a graphics card?

On the start menu type in dxdiag and save the report - scan it and remove anything you don't want to share - and post the finding here.

There is no personal information shared in the dxdiag report but you might just share the System Information and the Display Devices section (as far as shared memory)

6. Stationery Direct

See below...

GCard.jpg

7. hankscorpio

Should be fine

Maximum HDMI 2560x1600
    Maximum VGA 2048x1536

8. Stationery Direct

Thanks so much for your advice :icon_wink:

9. Stationery Direct

10. Stationery Direct

Sent it back, 3 dead pixels!! Purchased the Dell Ultrasharp U2713H (not the M version) in the end, 3 year panel warranty and no dead pixel guarantee.

11. hankscorpio

Wow - that's not good. Did you buy it used?

Yeh I have a Dell and can't fault it.

12. Stationery Direct

No brand new but apparently the law (or whoever governs these things) states that 4 dead pixels on this size is acceptable, more as you go bigger! I sent it back under the distance selling act where you get I think 7 days to return (at my cost!), but a return saying it was faulty would not have been allowed.

Just decided as it was for work to pay a premium for the 3 year warranty and no dead pixel guarantee, you get what you pay for...which I should know by now!

13. hankscorpio

I bet if you got the same one again after your refund it would be fine - it would be a gamble.

Since Dell off a 0 dead pixel guarantee then that's a much better one to buy just for that!

14. Stationery Direct

Yeah that's what I thought but they wouldn't check or guarantee that and i've got better things to be doing lol

15. hankscorpio

Was it nice when you hooked it up? Besides the dead pixels that is

16. Stationery Direct

Yeah it was, although, the ultra wide is really good if you want to open up documents side by side, which I do, however, in reality this is not all the time and a fraction of what I do in the day, hence I think I will get on better with a normal widescreen monitor.