Which Digital SLR Camera?

Dave1975

Hey guys,

Been thinking of investing in a new camera, always just had a digital compact but would really love to get a Digital SLR camera, does anyone have any recommendations?

My budget is pretty low in the world of DSLR cameras, probably upto £300ish, I was originally looking at the Sony A200K from Amazon but have since been recommended that Sony may not be the best option if I'm looking to get additional lenses at a later date?

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks, Greg

Always a Canon or a Nikon (or anything that ends in 'on').

Ive got the Canon 400D and its awesome, easy to use and you get really good results everytime. Plus the 450D is out now, more features - same price. However I hear the Nikon mid range cameras are better.

You should take a look at Warehouse Direct.

Thanks Lee, will take a look at those suggestions :)
Couldn't find a camera site with a quick search for Warehouse Direct, found a site called Warehouse Express, is that the one?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg said:
Thanks Lee, will take a look at those suggestions :)
Couldn't find a camera site with a quick search for Warehouse Direct, found a site called Warehouse Express, is that the one?

Thanks,
Greg

It is mate yer.

Sorry.

You should try second hand!

Jessops and Jacobs sell second hand kit for decent prices and sometimes you get a limited warentee too.

I got a Nikon D40 last year, and its friggin sweet!

such a good entry level camera, and at the cost they are now (i think mine was £270) they are a real bargain

I've got a Panasonic Lumix Z18 - £200, can't be beat on price or quality (or zoom for that matter 18x!), although not quite what you're looking for if you want a truely manual focus!

Mike said:
I got a Nikon D40 last year, and its friggin sweet!

such a good entry level camera, and at the cost they are now (i think mine was £270) they are a real bargain

Wow! £270! Nice one. I'd be tempted to trade my Canon for one of those.

Where did you get it?

Greg said:
I was a little bit worried about it being 6MP when most seem to be 10MP these days, but reading through a few reviews and comments on the sample photos say not to be worried about that, would you guys agree?

With a SLR the number of MP isn't as important becuase a good lense will sort that problem right out. So a 6MP Cam with a really good lense is going to be just as good if not better than a 10MP with an average or poop lense.

I've had my Canon EOS 350D for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. Think it comes in at around £300.

So I should definitely be looking at SLRs rather than considering compacts at all? *awaits wrath*

I just dream of the day when you can get a really good camera that's compact and affordable. I'd just leave it in my pocket and use it whenever I see something I like. That's the only thing stopping me get an SLR, plus the pricetag, pretty skint!

I was an entry level photographer having only used point and shoot cameras. Then I got a Nikon D60. I don't think I could ever use a point and shoot camera again. The only time I don't like it is when I want to take quick shots at some big event where I don't want to worry about having to pull out the big camera...but other than that...it's great.

I've taken it to drag races, Mexico, school and all kinds of places so it has seen a huge variety of places and it has done a great job everywhere.

I was amazed at how well it performed at the drag races. At these places cars go 0-300 MPH in about 2.5 seconds. I was able to take 3 shots with the D60 from the starting line of these dragsters going by. Here is an example...in this shot and at this very moment these cars were traveling at approximately 125-150 MPH which I guess in Europe is about 200KPH-240KPH.

dragd.jpg

Love this camera.

Back