Which Digital Camera?

T

Tony Hardy

I'm not a photographer, but feel having a halfway decent digital camera around the house would inspire me to take a few photos now and again. Could use it for taking reference photos/inspiration photos for my design work. And the odd family photo too.

However, which level camera would you go in at? Ideally I'd like an SLR, but don't want it to be ridiculously pricey.

Can anyone recommend anything?

I'd say look at one of the smaller interchangable lens formats that are out now. It gives you the convenience of changing lenses but is a lot more compact... they can cost a bit more though.
Another option is one of the digital cameras that is basically a dslr without the detachable lens.
If you want dslr... all the cheapest ones from nikon/canon/minolta (sony now) should do the job and they'll all give you an upgrade route to a better camera body if you wanted to change it later

Levi said:
I'd say look at one of the smaller interchangable lens formats that are out now. It gives you the convenience of changing lenses but is a lot more compact... they can cost a bit more though.
Another option is one of the digital cameras that is basically a dslr without the detachable lens.
If you want dslr... all the cheapest ones from nikon/canon/minolta (sony now) should do the job and they'll all give you an upgrade route to a better camera body if you wanted to change it later
Yeah, are the ones around the £450 mark normally alright? Canon 1100d is it?

yeah normally the cheaper dslr are lower res sensor (and not full frame like the top of the range - thats to do with ration compared with 35mm), slightly slower fps etc. Basically they lack some of the bells and whistles of the higher models but 90% of them you'll be unlikely to need.

Yeah, think I might just go in at the £500 mark. One thing I'm never sure on is how much I'll really use it? I mean, am I really going to take a DSLR camera on holiday? :/ They're a bit bulky.

Tony Hardy said:
how much I'll really use it? I mean, am I really going to take a DSLR camera on holiday? :/ They're a bit bulky.
thats why I suggested the smaller interchangeable lens formats over a dslr, you didn't sound like someone who was going to go 'all in' and personally I felt that their smaller size would be more of a benefit to you than the bells and whistles, plus huge lens choice of a full dslr. Some do have the ability to use the full size lenses via an adapter.
You should be able to pick up a nice nikon 1 series, especially if you go for the v1 option as it's just been 'replaced' by the v2.
Example (not saying buy from here, just example) - remember jessops might have some sales on...
camera Nikon 1 v1 + 10-30mm lens - no flash, get a J1 if you want a flash
30-110mm vr lens
total of above £463 which can leave enough for batteries, mem cards, case etc. Even better if it's for 'work' and you can claim vat back :)
An optional flash around 120 quid - better than the built in options but would push up your budget...

I'm running with a Nikon D700, with a 35mm fixed 1.8 lens, and it's the mutts nutts.
Fast, works great in low light, and shoots nice video too.

mcskillz said:
I'm running with a Nikon D700, with a 35mm fixed 1.8 lens, and it's the mutts nutts.
Fast, works great in low light, and shoots nice video too.
and also costs more than £500 lol

Levi said:
and also costs more than £500 lol
Hahaha! That Nikon camera you linked me to Levi looks great. Basically, with that lens added, does it become a DSLR?

Tony Hardy said:
Hahaha! That Nikon camera you linked me to Levi looks great. Basically, with that lens added, does it become a DSLR?
Does it become a dslr just because of the lens, no, a dslr is digital single lens reflex which basically means the camera can change lenses and it has a mirror/prism behind it.
The nikon I suggest is for lack of a better description a 'mini' dslr, they don't have the prism like a full size one and they use a mini lcd for the viewfinder instead of the 'live' image from the dslr prism/mirror approach. If you remember back in the days of film there used to be aps film cameras which were basically smaller 35mm format cameras, well these compact system cameras (csc) are basically the same principle but for digital camera age.
There are more than the nikon, there's sony, canon, pentax, olympus, lots are doing them and some actually have a cross platform lens fitment (nikon/canon are proprietary and I think sony is too iirc) but most are in pcworld so take a wander and get a 'feel for the camera' (this is important) and then buy online for less :)

The D700 body and the 35mm lens set me back around £700 second hand (mint condish). Not too shabby for what is widely considered one of Nikons best DSLRs

Thanks for the help everyone. Still haven't decided on a camera! Haha.

Back