Where to start...

Dangermoose

Hi there :D

As I said in my introductory thread, I'm currently in sixth form (second year) and I've applied to do graphic design at Uni and I'm doing an art foundation year at my local college later this year.

What kind of things can I do now to gradually get better at design? Be it tutorials, books etc?

Thanks

You need to do stuff- give your self mini projects, do your research to get your inspiration for each of them and build up your personal portfolio. Over a period of time you'll notice it's getting better until you go back to the first stuff you did and think OMG.

Being socially aware is the best prep you can do.

Read book magazine be aware of developments within the world. Take note of trends and fashions in all design fields and learn a bit of art and design history this will help you lots.

Sign up to websites and online things like taxi, join twitter and follow interesting design people this is bite sized and will keep you up to date with all the developments in design.

Buy magazines and look at how they are put together think about why they are using the fonts, colours etc and look at advertising and trends etc.

Basically you dont need to sit there reading lendless books you just need to look at the everyday from a design perspective.

Go to the super market wander around and look at why one tea packet might apeal so one customer and one to another etc.

Good Luck :)

I love watergate and mawgan porth had some amazing surfs there I lived by fistral when I was there and worked at watergate bay hotel. If your ever down there and you see a girl with a cherry red surf board with a big kitch indian print of the goddess Durga on the side thats me! :)

I'll keep an eye out! My grandparents live right on the top of the cliff of Mawgan Porth beach, uncle lives 2 mins walk from Fistral and I've been camping on Watergate Bay campsite since I was born (25 years). Ahh .. love Cornwall.

My Mum lives in Hayle and we go to The Towans and godreavy beach. If you havent been there go its amazing 7 miles of golden sand and if you walk over the towans its deserted and the water is crystal clear.:) I love cornwall to one day we will live back there I'm sure just have to set up my own buisness.

This is not helpfull to the original question at all sorry!

Back