Where to find FREE fonts?

I built up a nice collection of fonts by installing those given away in arts magazines such as Computer Arts - they are usually a bit nicer than the free ones.

I always prefer to buy professionally made ones though to use for projects - it makes a big difference.

Your quite correct.

Some of the ones off DaFont are fine for printed text on flyers, lealfets etc, but as soon as you get into large format printing (exhibitions, signage) you really see how poor they are in construction.

A client of mine used a 'novelty' font for his logo and when I had to use it for vehicle signage I had to spend hours in Illustrator in outline view tweaking all the letters to make them smooth. Was a nightmare! :icon_cursing:

It's important to note however that FREE doesn't always mean free to use commercially. Quite often, there's a restriction on use - and sometimes it's non-commercial only.

It's important to note however that FREE doesn't always mean free to use commercially. Quite often, there's a restriction on use - and sometimes it's non-commercial only.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

For example, Sainsbury's used to use the font Interstate. This is a font you'd have to pay for (and get a commercial license). I was really interested in getting a font that was similar, and found Blue Highway. This is by Larabie, and is free for non-commercial and commercial use :)

You can usually find a 'clone' non-commercial font that is very similar to commercial ones if you look hard enough.

If its just one word, or a company name I've often created the font myself.

Anyone know what Tesco's 'in-store' merchandising font is? It's similar in appearance to Cocon bold.

Thanks for the offer Col. I'm actually looking to use a similar one for commercial use so it wouldn't really be cricket. Thanks anyway.

Must look into crossfont. :)

Back