where next...

philjohns

Ok - Im 17, at school doing a levels - Art, Photography, media studies and geography.

I have been doing free lance design work since I was about 15 and a half and now I am at the stage where I am turning down jobs because I have too much on.

I want to go into the design industry and would love to set up my own business which I wouldnt mind doing so straight after my next year of a levels when I will be 18.

What would you suggest I do and how would you suggest I go about it?

(For the record, a lot of the work I have done is not on my website at the moment but if you wish to see some more stuff just send me a PM)

Would appreciate any thoughts

Dude - you sound exactly like me. I cant believe how similar this situation is haha!

I did Media, Graphic Design and Product Design at A-Levels.

When I was 17 I was the designer of the school magazine - had to design 42 pages and get it printed litho - so I had to learn Photoshop and Indy pretty fast as the school didnt teach the programs at all.

I worked in a small studio for work experience for a couple weeks then worked in a studio for a year before leaving and going freelance. That was 3 months ago - and I'm 19 and I have my own company set up: jHouse | GRAPHIC DESIGN.

I would recommend getting a part time job if you've not got enough to keep you going freelance - unless you're getting paid loads for it.

What are you intending to charge per day?

Nice one.

J

Not so much a charge per day as I wont be working on one job for a whole day.

It will be done on contract as a fixed price I think - as I do now. Analyse the job brief before and quote accordingly.

Getting paid farly well right now but never have declines cos of my pricing so assume I could charge a bit more.

ANy more advice? ideas?

What did you do about funding your busines set up? do you have offices?

Can I ask, are either of you Registered as self-employed?

If so you can get a lot of help from your local Business Link... they can give tons of advice about setting up, grants, how to do your books; you can attend seminars, recieve email updates on new legislation.

I would recommend it to anyone. Also if you have any questions or problems about the above, or your self assessment, I'll be happy to help :D

Offices? Dude I'm 19. I dont own a fricking agency.

I work in an OFFICE but I used to work from my bedroom.

No - I was really lucky and got to share office space with my Dad who runs his own business from there:

2966292689_f3c49afe6f.jpg

Looks like a brilliant set up that youve got your hands on jHouse, I too am rather jealous.

Anymore views on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

jHouse said:
No - I was really lucky and got to share office space with my Dad who runs his own business from there:

Nice setup! Feel free to add it to our Workspace Photo thread :up:
http://www.designforums.co.uk/design-equipment-software/420-post-photo-your-work-space.html

philjohns said:
I want to go into the design industry and would love to set up my own business which I wouldnt mind doing so straight after my next year of a levels when I will be 18.

What would you suggest I do and how would you suggest I go about it?

Hi Phil,

If you're planning/hoping to go to University, or are unsure about University, I would recommend taking a gap year after your A-Levels and trying the route as a freelancer. This would give you a year to really give it a go full-time, and see how you get on. If you feel after that year that you lacked the experience, then you could look to get a job at a local agency or pursue a course at University. If you're thinking of Uni you could always apply before your gap year with a deferred entry. Then if the gap year working as a freelancer works out well you can continue to pursue that :)

I would recommend registering yourself as self-employed if you're earning an income from your freelance work as blueocto mentioned (you need to register within 3 months of starting up on your own). Great offer of help from blueocto too :up:

HTH in some way,
Greg

I think university should be a serious consideration - it allows you to be free, creative and experimental and learn lots of different concepts about design. However, I personally think university needs to be backed up with professional practice. If you're already freelancing now, you could continue this whilst studying. By the time you leave, you could be a very desirable designer to hire with both education and professional practice backing you up. Also consider the other life skills university provides - they're not to be underestimated!! (No, it's not *all* about boozing!)

Like Greg says deferred entry is a great idea for university, it gives you some space to think!

Mookomatic said:
By the time you leave, you could be a very desirable designer to hire with both education and professional practice backing you up.

This would be a very strong position to be in, having commercial work samples in your portfolio in addition to the course work is a real asset, whether you're looking for a position or going freelance full-time.

Thanks for all the comments.

I'll be registering the next few weeks as self employed.

Im not keen on Uni (hope i dont sound stupid). I ahve thought a lot about it, my parents (both teachers) agree that it is not the way for everyone. Although I dont mind doing A levels it is something that has really hit me as something that is holding my work back. I am turning down many jobs as I simply do not have the time.

A deffered entry is something that I will definately think about, however I do currently feel it is my last resort.

What do you think the likely hood is on me getting a job with an agency is after a year of freelancing at the age of say 19 looking at my portfolio now?

Thanks,

Phil

Hey Phil,
What school are you at? I'm also based in Plymouth.

Unfortunately the City doesn't have an abundance of (a) good design agencies or (b) potential customers. I work for one agency called Mutual Ideas, and there's Bluestone, but not many others.

I'd recommend going to college personally, but not PCAD!! I got an HND from there, and felt I learned 10 times as much in one year doing my top up degree in Taunton (Somerset College of Arts and Technology) - I'd recommend trying them.

But it's up to you obviously. You've already shown some good potential design-wise, and some good entrepreneurial skills too! So setting up for yourself might be a good option. In any case, all the best! Hope you find what you're after.

philjohns said:
What do you think the likely hood is on me getting a job with an agency is after a year of freelancing at the age of say 19 looking at my portfolio now?

Thanks,

Phil

I'd go to uni and learn how to think like a designer. Ideas are paramount. Learning to have them is the most important thing you can do.

You already have the skills technically, but that is only half of the battle.

If you went to uni, it would open the doors for you to work on massive clients and big global jobs, ultimately maybe ending up as a creative director at a huge agency.

I'm not saying you have to go to uni to be successful, i'm just saying it helps.

I'm also a big fan of getting drunk and sleeping till 4pm. God i miss university.

Mookomatic said:
I think university should be a serious consideration - it allows you to be free, creative and experimental and learn lots of different concepts about design. However, I personally think university needs to be backed up with professional practice. If you're already freelancing now, you could continue this whilst studying. By the time you leave, you could be a very desirable designer to hire with both education and professional practice backing you up. Also consider the other life skills university provides - they're not to be underestimated!! (No, it's not *all* about boozing!)

Like Greg says deferred entry is a great idea for university, it gives you some space to think!

this is all bang on.

remember, there's no rush! have a good time! and learn to think!

gre said:
I'd go to uni and learn how to think like a designer. Ideas are paramount. Learning to have them is the most important thing you can do.

You already have the skills technically, but that is only half of the battle.

If you went to uni, it would open the doors for you to work on massive clients and big global jobs, ultimately maybe ending up as a creative director at a huge agency.

I'm not saying you have to go to uni to be successful, i'm just saying it helps.

I'm also a big fan of getting drunk and sleeping till 4pm. God i miss university.

I disagree....with pretty much everything here. ;)

Maybe its cos I got lucky.

1. Work in free time while at school - forget your xbox - get on your computer.
2. Build your portfolio
3. Call agencies / email agencies / send letters asking for a chance to work for a short time FREE
4. Compare the amount of doors opened here to the amount opened by uni

I was working in an agency at 17 for free in my school holiday. Do it. You'll love it.

Which agency?

To the person considering setting up before having a proper education.

If you want to work on anything from Nike, to MOMA, to Fred Perry to Really high budget print jobs, or anything remotely high brow, your chances will be greatly ameliorated by getting a degree and educating yourself further.

Not taking anything away from people who set up with no education, but i'm sure theres alot more Bachelors of Art in top london agencies/studio's than there are Self Taught Maestro's.

that's not to say it can't happen, but you need to be around the right people.

Back