• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Where does your online name come from?

I'm leelovesbikestoo pretty much everywhere online. It came from when I first started using forums around 7 years ago and signed up to a cycling forum. leelovesbikes was taken, so I was leelovesbikestoo and have been ever since.

How did you get yours?

Jimlad

On here I wanted to have something linked to my real name, nothing too cryptic. "Jim" was already taken, and Typo, who I worked with at the time, had said "Jimlad" to me at some point that week, so I went with that.

allyally2k

I started using allyally2k in 2000 ha! Bit like yours, in that it 'ally' was taken so added an extra ally and a 2k so I could remember it and it's never taken!

Greg

a common masculine first name and family name. It is derived from the Latin name "Gregorius," which was from the late Greek name "Γρηγόριος" (Grēgorios) meaning "watchful" (derived from Greek "γρήγoρηῖν" "grēgorein" meaning "to watch").[1] Through folk etymology, the name also became associated with Latin grex (stem greg–) meaning 'flock' or 'herd'. This association with a shepherd who diligently guides his flock contributed to the name's popularity among monks and popes.
I like to see myself as the DF Shepherd diligently guiding the flock?! (nod)

Levi

Staff member
well on here it's my name and following Greg's lead here's it's meaning etc lol

Levi is the name of a Biblical character in the Old Testament, the third son of Jacob and Leah. He was also the forbear of one of the Israeli tribes.

Levi went on to become chief of the sects of religious functionaries called as Levites. As compared to the twelve tribes in Israel, the Levites were not bestowed any land when the Canaan came to be conquered. They are said to have executed secondary services linked with public worship as musicians, temple officials etc.

The Bible has described Levi as an intelligent but fierce political leader and soldier, very prone to outbursts of rage. Levi was said to be a part of the plan of his brothers to kill Joseph, his half brother. Levi led a massacre of the Hivite men after their circumcision as one of them raped Levi's sister.

C

chrismitchell

and more religious overtones:

From the Late Greek name Χριστοφορος (Christophoros) meaning "bearing Christ", derived from Χριστος (Christos) combined with φερω (phero) "to bear, to carry". It was used by early Christians as a metaphorical name, expressing that they carried Christ in their hearts. In the Middle Ages, literal interpretations of the name's etymology led to legends about a Saint Christopher who carried the young Jesus across a river. He has come to be regarded as the patron saint of travellers.

As an English given name, Christopher has been in general use since the 15th century. In Denmark it was borne by three kings (their names are usually spelled Christoffer), including the 15th-century Christopher of Bavaria who also ruled Norway and Sweden. Other famous bearers include Italian explorer Christopher Columbus (1451-1506), English playwright Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593), and the fictional character Christopher Robin from A. A. Milne's 'Winnie-the-Pooh' books.

mrp2049

Some years ago, in the dark days of 56k dial up modems, a young boy was know to most as Partridge, however these were dark times and the young boy did not approve of the unrelenting Christmas jokes, stupid references to a certain fruit tree and then to a character of a popular comedian. A few of his work colleges had taken to simply shortening his name to the extremes and simply refering to him as 'P'. This name was easier to enter on a keyboard than trying to enter the long string of characters in his actually name, and upon joining hotmail for the first time he decided to use the identification "Mr P" in a shorthand form "mrp". However much to the young boy's surprise and dismay, the email mrp@hotmail.com has been taken! As had mrp1@hotmail.com! Had he just followed the crowd of sheep and done as he was suggested, he would have ended up with the address mrp128@hotmail.com....but being the savvy you rapscallion he was, he presumed that email spammer would target a low number, so he decided to pick a higher number....

In series 2, episode 5 of Red Dwarf (Queeg), Holly was asked the question with the square root of 2049 was to prove that he was not suffering from computer senility as it would confirm that he did in fact have an IQ of 6000. The young boy had taken the time in school to memorise that the square root of 2049 was in fact 45.26588119 (calculator decimal place dependent), yet he still love the idea of having an obtuse and erroneous reference to one of his favourite comedies in his email address and thus settled on the number 2049.

The combination of mrp and 2049 was a marriage made in heaven and has stayed with that young eager, happy, enthusiastic boy even now as he approaches 30 and has become bitter, jaded and cynical.
Top that.

Sunburn

Sunburn : Lads holiday, got smashed, went swimming in sea, got burnt badly, drank scotch and vodka for medicinal pain numbing qualities over the week:) partied on! Havant stopped :)

Oh stuff, really boring compared to you lot. Was my username at a company I worked for a few years ago. Became a bit of a nickname and stuck. Am Thomzo pretty much everywhere except fleabay where someone beat me to it.

Errrm mines just from my name and everyone calls me miss bird or birdy or miss birdy then i thought I might funk it up with a couple of x's haha! Thats how xxmissbirdyxx was born :D