When to learn Illustrator...

Ant

Okay, so i have been dabbling in photoshop for quite a while now.

Like you know, i want to get into making web layouts / graphics. But i also want to do a bit of illustration, logo design, print etc. So in other words all round. Or be able to give it a shot, even if i'm not as good at it as web layouts.

Now, when is a good time to practice illustration. I might just think this 'cause i'm young, but i always think that if i start learning illustrator i'll forget everything i knew about web design.

This probably won't be the case, yet it could be :p.

Should i just learn illustrator when i feel like it, or set a couple of weeks to learn more and more on illustrator. Then another couple on photoshop etc, and keep going like that?

EDIT: And yeah, this probably is a dumb question aha.

You're in a similar-ish position to me, apart from I'll bet you are more graphically skilled than me.

I'm more into the coding side of things than graphical but I'll advise you as best as I can.

I used the Photoshop CS4 trial and got to grips with the basic use (previously using GIMP/PSP). Since the trial has run out, I have purchased both Photoshop and Illustrator and am currently in the process of learning to get to grips with Illustrator and yet I still am fine going back to Photoshop.

I wouldn't worry about flicking inbetween the two. Loads of professionals use both and are perfectly fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember your keyboard shortcuts.

Well I wish I started learning Illustrator first and then Photoshop because now I tend to design all my logos in Photoshop instead of Illustrator and I still can't be interested to be learning it :(.. I would say learn Illustrator later and just concentrate on thing, Web Design instead of jumping in all directions..

Mohammad said:
Well I wish I started learning Illustrator first and then Photoshop because now I tend to design all my logos in Photoshop instead of Illustrator and I still can't be interested to be learning it

Designing all your logos in PS is a dangerous route, it will leave you reaching for layer effects rather than getting to grips with design principles surrounding typography and layout. If you're seriously interested in logo design for the long-term and not just for quick design contests, then take the time to start learning Illustrator.

Finally, but most importantly, take the time to start understanding why you're designing something the way you are, I know you guys are younger than a lot of us here, but the most important factor in any design is the idea, and understanding of why it's appropriate/relevant to the design brief, you can teach anyone to use the software with enough tuition.

Greg said:
Designing all your logos in PS is a dangerous route, it will leave you reaching for layer effects rather than getting to grips with design principles surrounding typography and layout. If you're seriously interested in logo design for the long-term and not just for quick design contests, then take the time to start learning Illustrator.

You are right Greg :(

Ant said:
Now, when is a good time to practice illustration. I might just think this 'cause i'm young, but i always think that if i start learning illustrator i'll forget everything i knew about web design.

You'll always be learning, every designer continues to learn and develop, you won't forget what you know, you'll just improve on it.

Thanks all!

Thank you Greg. Yeah i try and tend to do that, when designing a layout i try and ask myself why it goes well there. What sort of positioning i will need etc.

Yeah i want to get into Logo design in the long run tbh. Along with web design of course.
That's what i mean, i wanna do and be good at both of them in the long run. So..

Typo said:
I think I've forgoten Quark Xpress...it's been sooo long.

lol I get a little scared when I randomly have to use it at work... it deeply embedded in my head and I'd like it to stay there and not come out.

IMO if you are daft enough to not want to learn illustrator first or sooner at least get to grips with the pen tool if nothing else. I'm not knocking Photoshop, it landed me the job I'm in ... but it's not the be all and end all of everything, far from it.

Why not set yourself some goals? Rather then just "I'm going to learn illustrator". Deconstruct a design or illustration you've seen, see if you can try and emulate it. Set aside even a couple hours a week and concentrate on one area of the program rather than flitting around.

As for positioning learning about grid systems helps (my boy drummed it into me at work for print design) maybe something like this will be a good foundation block for you:
The Grid System

also there's nothing wrong with 'jumping around in all directions' when you're learning, you might find you're better at something you never considered or you enjoy it... and with design everything you learn will have some impact on your work, even indirectly.

Yeah, i used to muck around in photoshop using the Pen Tool, before i even got Illustrator.

The way i learn best is doing, so ithink that's what i'll do. Either do as you say Becky, :)
Thanks!

It's nice to see no one calling it 'illy'

For logos i design the elements in Illustrator, then for type and layout of the logo i use Quark Xpress.

Then for mock ups i use Photoshop.

For scrambled eggs i use the Microwave.

I'm slowly getting the hang of this, the thing I'm doing is, design the logo in Photoshop first and then design it in Illustrator with purely Photoshop Knowledge and it isn't difficult :D

Romack said:
It's nice to see no one calling it 'illy'

For logos i design the elements in Illustrator, then for type and layout of the logo i use Quark Xpress.

Then for mock ups i use Photoshop.

For scrambled eggs i use the Microwave.

That seems over complicated, but then again everyone works differently, if it works for you can't be necessarily bad

Typo said:
I think I've forgoten Quark Xpress...it's been sooo long.

Haha - i'm the same!

I used Quark everyday for the last 6/7 years.

The agency i'm at know uses InDesign - i doubt i'd have a scooby do what to do in Quark now!

Shizzle.

Becky said:
That seems over complicated, but then again everyone works differently, if it works for you can't be necessarily bad

True.

I prefer my eggs done in a pan on the hob.

Vectors in AI, Imagery in PS, Layouts in ID.

Can get away with 1-page/certain layouts in Illustrator, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Personal preference :)

When your saying layouts, you mean as in web layouts?
Or are you talking about layouts for brochures and such?

Sorry, lol, just left behind here kinda confused.

I used to use that Glen and thought it was decent.
I use Good-Tutorials.com and Pixel2Life.com now, i find them, much better!

Back