What's your view?

Are Choices at the Splash Page a good thing?

• Total voters

red tiger

Hello all - long time!

I'm developing a web concept for a client at the moment, and I'm wondering whether to take a 'Choice at Splash' approach to it. I know this hasn't been done for years so was wondering your opinions?

By this I mean presenting the User with two choices when they visit the site; One option for quick viewing where you get a simple design and all the facts, or the Full Experience option where you get all the animation and lovliness.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Al

Thanks Ooy - I think choices can be good things when done right, but they can hinder movements and suck up the all-important 3 seconds. I think maybe you could take a different tact with yours - such as "...if you're starting something new" / "...if you're revamping something existing"

I think it depends on the context but, generally, I find them a bit frustrating. There is often no need for them and no reason why the alternative link can't be placed somewhere on the main page but, again, that can depend.

personally I like a simple enough layout to see the important stuff quickly but it also allows you to expand it to give you more in depth features etc. I know it's not always the easiest thing to do but it would likely be better for the seo side of things too.

From what I think you're describing, I would probably find a happy medium between the two. If the content of your site needs to be viewed on a purely basic level, then it probably isn't fitting that you design the site to be all singing and dancing.

Generally I'd say no, and generally - I'd even go as far as saying that splash pages aren't a good idea!

I can understand them for big companies, maybe choices for the EU website, America website or language specific website.

Generally when I visit a website with a splash page I'll be bored within 3 seconds... unless it is EXTREMELY interesting and 100% relative to the business that I'm looking for

philjohns said:
mpanies, maybe choices for the EU website, America website or language specific website.

I've been working on sites in English and Italian, despite the fact that I have coded in a switch over, I still think the choose your language splash page is a must.

I've done a site for a band recently, splash page was just to break things up, go straight to gigs, shop or continue to full site. Didn't agree with it, but its what they wanted.

I guess it can work, but generally, if there is no reason, skip it, as most people will want to! Just think back 10 years and remember all those infuriating flash animations on the index.html, basically blocking you from the site!

Do you like listening to options on the phone before talking to the person you wanted to talk to?

No.

Hey everyone. I see there is a lot of back and forth views on your 'splash' page. I am developing a new social networking site (Like no other) for just creative people. It is all about generating online ideas and I think you ALL would benefit. Please subscribe to E-dea and be the first to use the site. It is coming very very soon! Thank you in advance!

Back