Whats the name of this 'technique'

Levi

Staff member
Ok I've found something that I like the look of for my site and I can't seem to find how to do it.... well it might be easier if I had the name of the technique but I'm coming up with the wrong stuff at the moment...
So anyone know what term I should be looking for in regards to the 'header menu' resizing as you scroll down on these sites.
http://www.jquery4u.com/
http://www.box.co.uk/Zyxel_WAP3205_v2_Wireless-11N_300_Mbs_Ac_1275703.html

I know it's not the same as the 'fixed' menu that goes over the top of your site as the text etc scrolls under, thats done with css, I'm pretty sure this is javascript but like I say I'm not sure of it's name so I'm a bit stumped :).

voodoo magic menu didn't bring anything else up, got any other names for it :)

I was literally reading a tutorial on this this morning. I believe it was by Chris Spooner. I'll try and dig it out in the morning.

http://jsfiddle.net/KEjfe/
Try this, I've found an example of the static version but there's no fancy animating the header to reduce in size included in that. You'll have to write/find out how to do that in jquery but it should be quite simple, then you just need to re-style the header.
I'll have another look tomorrow.

not with your code but I did find the proper name out... just by random chance too :)
It's called a sticky menu and I've found a jquery one which should do the job nicely (I hope) :)

Oh I could of told you that, but the way you wrote it made it sound like you were looking for the name of the technique which resizes the header as you scroll. Sticky headers/menu's are quite common, if you can't get it to work or need some 'extra' functionality just let me know and I'll sort it out for you :)

well you could have told me the name then :rolleyes: :nod:
I want the shrinking 'logo' too.... the one I've found does it with a nice elegant fade in of the logo... I'll need to tweak the css obviously which looks easy enough but it looks to have 'everything' I was thinking about for the main menu.
Just a shame I can't find what I want on my site in mootools... they're usually free. Nearly everything I seem to want to integrate into my new site which uses jquery costs money. The menu I like costs $4 and the 'slider' script (it's touchscreen friendly - ie you can swipe to next image) costs $12, at least the lightbox and the fonts and the main 'responsive' element seem to be free..... yes I'm a cheapskate lol

Well I assumed you already knew the name for it and were looking for the name of something else :p
It costs money because there's an element of skill to it ;) I thought you were a professional! You can't afford £2.50 for a navigation menu? Haha. If you want a lot of advanced functionality have you considered hiring someone? I didn't realise you wanted it to be touch screen friendly.

Oh I can afford the cost of the plugin bits, I'm just a cheapskate and hate paying for stuff :)
I'm not going to hire someone, I'm going to do it myself, there's nothing in my site design that I can't do, it's just that I don't do it on a daily basis :) It's a bit like you doing my cad work, there's probably nothing in it you can't do, it's just harder for you because you don't do it as often as I do.
Integrating the touchscreen slider plugin and the menu are the relatively easy bits. Its getting the media queries and pixel density stuff into my head in relation to the responsive design which is more difficult, I understand the concept, just got to get to grips with it so I don't do things which aren't necessary.
Why did I have to get a nexus 7..... made me want to make everything optimised for touch and different res screens....

Back