Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's perfect profile raising solution?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by berry, Mar 9, 2009.

1. berry

berry Active Member

Not sure where to post this, web, seo, design, business? so I'll start here....

With so many posts threads and advice I'm asking general one stop all round solution question.

QUESTION: What is the best way or Hit list to raise a business profile.IE all the things that a budding OR established business should be doing. I'm looking for the DEFINITIVE TOP 10 LIST! the 10 things you can not afford NOT to do to survive this reccesion. If you had to tell a business to do 10 things/actions/directions/ what is it. Real instantly do-able actionbable things.

Twitter? Facebook? A Myspace page, Business networking, Social networking, SEO, Forums, E-marketing, the phone! bla bla. Off you go boys!
  2. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

From my limited knowledge - I would say all the ones you have mentioned Berry!
  3. Greg

Greg Active Member

OK in my personal opinion forget Facebook and MySpace, as good as they are, they're social networking sites and as such I think are too personal for making any kind of business contacts/networking/new business.

- Create a full profile, connect with contacts you already have & join relevant groups. Try and get reviews/testimonials from existing clients who also use LinkedIn, I think there's a lot of potential with contacts to be made through LinkedIn, especially if you're looking to mix within the circles of your existing client base.

- In its nature it's more of a long term objective given the time it takes to build up natural listings and improve your positions for searched keywords. It's worth carrying out some keyword research just to see if there's potential, relevant traffic you could be targetting. I think SEO is more of a benefit to straight web design/dev agencies rather than just design agencies, but certainly something that can't be ignored.

Twitter - I'm yet to personally explore the potential of Twitter, but given the site's epic growth there's clearly some potential for making new contacts. I think many people have followed the bandwagon of Twitter in the hope that getting some followers and posting your URL every few days will bring some traffic, this is completely the wrong approach. To gain the most from Twitter you have to be interesting, informative and up-to-date, if you're posting interesting info, links and connect with other people's twitter updates then you'll get a good following. I think you need a fair bit of time to commit to getting the best from Twitter, but be very cautious of becoming addicted, it can end up being counter-productive!

General - With regards to general business practice at this time, I would be looking to follow up any previous leads and enquiries, minimize costs as much as possible and try to do something a bit different to generate new clients. Within the industry I think the majority agree that word of mouth and referrals is the greatest marketing tool, why not prioritize on this, with some form of client referral scheme? Or how about a satisfaction guarantee?

Sorry not really a top ten, kind of went off on a tangent, but an interesting topic to discuss, think it may be best suited to the running a design business section, as may be missed in off-topic...

4. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

CSS galleries. But that probably won't attract actual clients, only fellow designers.
  5. Harry

Harry Senior Member

CSS galleries are a waste of time. You get one surge of traffic from one site for about a day 'til your site hits page two etc of the gallery, at which point the PR of the linking page gets weaker. Plus like you say the only people likely to see it are people already in the industry.

Realisticly how many sites in CSS galleries can you remember? About 0.5% max.
  6. berry

berry Active Member

Ha, I couldn't have cracked it that easily! Lotto on Saturday then!!!!

It's interesting if there is any 'wildcards' out there. The next big thing......
    The computer is defining how we communicate in business and life.... but is technology dictating the way we do business? Are we losing the human touch? Do we have to lose the human touch in order to compete? I miss talking to people.
  7. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

Not at all, I think if you took our lovely Mac's way from us (please dont boss!) Im sure we would still come up with the same ideas, it just might take longer to produce them.

I suppose that is what would define a designer from an amateur (i dont mean this in a mean way!).
  8. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Interestingly enough I had heard of LinkedIn but never knew what it was. On there now, although not much to write about with limited experience. I'll develop it as my career develops.
  9. At the moment the business I work for does the following and we seem to be doing ok... at the moment:

1. eMail campaigns to a purchased database of clients and potential clients.
    2. Printed brochure maildrops with advertising (currently about 70% effective) from another list of a purchased database (a split of the Database get emails and posted mail each month).
    3. Twitter, and Facebook - some people join our groups / follow us but not many, mainly follow our sister company as it is a free service (and we get advertising revenue from the site, plus advertise our own services etc on it so its a double edged sword for us).
    4. Sponsors website advertising / mail shots / enewsletters etc etc.

Thats what we do :)
  10. captainrage

captainrage Senior Member

Berry I thought I'd just say, I love your 'Small Talk' site, it's quite Twitter-esque, minus all the crap of twitter.

Have you had a look at Tumblr (check it out). It's very simple, but works.

I agree with chrismitchell, email campaigns are brilliant if they're done correctly. I love the TimeOut newsletters..

*more random thoughts*