Whatever happened to.......?????????

Ah! this is a nice trip down memory lane, even though I'm only 31, I remember alot of these things.

Also I remember:

• 'hand rendering' at college, which ment hand drawing typefaces to the size of 6pt!
• using scalpel to cut out detailed designs
• drawing

I loved the smell of Cow Gum in the morning!

I'll add

Tony stone worldwide stock photo books,
Airbrushing visuals
low res placeholder images

Also...

• Ruby film/tape;
• Huge repro-cameras and halftone sheets.

I used to work in a place that had a mono desktop scanner that cost about £3,000! (c.1991). You would start scanning, go for lunch, come back from lunch... and it would still be scanning! It's amazing to think you can pick up scanners for about £40 these days.

Love it... all those things mean very much to me!

Coming from a pen and ink technical illustration background a quick route around my dusty shelves uncovered. A flexi curve, french curves, ellipse guides, a badger airbrush, and my favorite all time tool a set of proportional dividers!

I've even got a special brush for dusting away eraser rubbings from your drawing board :)

Oh and anybody got any spray mount?

I was using display mount this afternoon funnily enough. More forgiving than spray mount, but it still stinks nonetheless.

Cover paper for visuals!

We used to mount the visual on either Kappa foam board or Mounting board. Thin Tracing Sheet first and then a Grey Outer cover. All immaculate folded and masking taped down 1 ruler width deep with a 45 degree corner cut. Then the agency "label was attached to the cover 1 ruler width in bottom right. There was an art to presenting your work then. Presentation Origami! Woe betide anyone who mounted anything sloppily. Copyright sticker on the back too

My god you are all showing your age now!
I have to agree with:

Rotring pens and ink
Set Squares
The Magic Marker visual
extractor hood thingy for using spray-mount OR spray booths as we called them
Tracing paper and light boxes
Lighter fuel to clean rulers and equipment with
Spray mount on your shoes - yes thanks to Lee I have nice gluey Nike's now!
'hand rendering' at college, which ment hand drawing typefaces to the size of 6pt!
using scalpel to cut out detailed designs - still does this today
Kappa foam board or Mounting board

We did everything by hand right up to Uni, we only used computers for text and layouts more so in Uni than school/college (maybe that's why I dont know Photoshop as well as I could lol).
I still have a ton of Letraset markers (some unused) in my stationary carry-box, and my leather portfolio case, A3 of course, for all those mounted pieces of work...

God, you must be disgusted when i say this...

What the hell are you guys on about!?!

I used to use the extractor fan thingy daily in my last job, as I had to do a lot of packaging mock ups. Thrown away my rotring set only a couple of weeks ago as it had seized up through lack of use. I also just about remember cow gum but can't remember where from so must have been school D&T rooms! And lettraset rules, I have one lonely sheet of Eurostile extended I think, with no vowels left and that's it.

Cow Gum? Is that what they call that here? I used to use that in college!! Still did up to a few years ago. Loved how it held firm but you could still peel off whatever you'd stuck down afterwards if needed be

Mosskat said:
Cow Gum? Is that what they call that here? I used to use that in college!! Still did up to a few years ago. Loved how it held firm but you could still peel off whatever you'd stuck down afterwards if needed be

cowgum.jpg

Ohhhh ours was just a red tin, can't for the life of me remember....oh!! Rubber Cement!! that's what they called it! Hahah.

Back