What type of workstation do you use?

At work I'm using a imac 27" - 2.66ghz i5, 4gb ram, ATI 4850 512mb ram
but as good as this sounds I find it quite laggy I don't know why the old mac g5 tower (can't remember the specs something like 2.5ghz power mac) was pretty good. I've got a PC at home and that's zippy compared to this (I'm not a fanboy either I don't care what I use)
The pc - AMD quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram (but its windows 7 32bit so it only uses 3.5) ATI 5770 1gb, raptor 300gb hd. Very nippy but the ATI drivers have gone a bit mental.

I used to have a amiga 500 (with one meg ram!) but I had to get rid of it due to space :(

Old work had 27" iMacs...hated them!

Probably a nice machine for home use but for work i found them annoying, the screen was good for 100% work but wasn't big enough to comfortably fit 100% work plus all the tool boxes I like open so even though the screen was big I still wanted a second.

At home I have a shiny and yet slightly dusty Intel iMac circa 2008, at work I have a "thing" run by a dead hamster feeding coal into a mechanism that winds the elastic band... connected to a server made out of string and chewing gum. I need a new word for "inadequate".

Jimlad said:
At home I have a shiny and yet slightly dusty Intel iMac circa 2008, at work I have a "thing" run by a dead hamster feeding coal into a mechanism that winds the elastic band... connected to a server made out of string and chewing gum. I need a new word for "inadequate".

The lady opposite me at work has a 5 year old imac and that runs like a glacier, luckily it's not graphics work but she has a nasty habit of killing external hard drives

Back