What to look for in a monitor?

br3n

Bit lost while looking at monitors at the moment, had eyes for a 22" TFT but other than that im a bit behind - Used to know a bit (6 years ago) but things have changed :)

What should I be looking for?

ahhhh no don't get a tn panel tft, they have some of the worst viewing angles and the colour accuracy suffers accordingly.

If you can spend the money something like the s-pva based 23" samsung f2380 (£230 ish) (100% srgb colour space which is good at this money) or any ips/pva panel (dell 2409 etc) as they are better for colour accuracy (calibrated obviously). You can usually tell a non tn panel by the grey to grey (gtg) time as its never below 8ms

Levi said:
ahhhh no don't get a tn panel tft, they have some of the worst viewing angles and the colour accuracy suffers accordingly.

If you can spend the money something like the s-pva based 23" samsung f2380 (£230 ish) (100% srgb colour space which is good at this money) or any ips/pva panel (dell 2409 etc) as they are better for colour accuracy (calibrated obviously). You can usually tell a non tn panel by the grey to grey (gtg) time as its never below 8ms

my flat mate has the samsung f2380 (as his secondary monitor) and I agree its an awesome screen. The tv version he has isn't quite as good a monitor, but makes for a sweet setup

charles said:
dunno too much but the new lg 22" monitors are great for the money! or a samsung Samsung T220 22" TFT Monitor 1680x1050 20,000:1 2ms VGA/DVI Rose Black 3 Years Warranty - Ebuyer

I have two of these (might be 20" but same resolution) and can't fault them, Great monitors.

I'm not a deisgner though so didn't look into the colour accuracy etc. Although I don't usually view them from odd angles either.

newmons.jpg

Levi - thanks thats the kind info I needed, I saw a few with 2ms and some with 5ms and wasnt entirely sure - £250 is off my budget so might need to look at 20" rather than 22. Im currently on a iiyama vision master 1451, back in the day it was alright but im guessing anythings an improvement at the mo.

Berry - shhh just because this isn't a thread about pens and paper and there for you have nothing to say doesnt mean you have to jump in with some witty comment to try and prove to the kids "your still hip" when infact we all know, it is you who needs a new hip :p

br3n said:
Levi - thanks thats the kind info I needed, I saw a few with 2ms and some with 5ms and wasnt entirely sure - £250 is off my budget so might need to look at 20" rather than 22. Im currently on a iiyama vision master 1451, back in the day it was alright but im guessing anythings an improvement at the mo.
You can get the 23" (16:9) samsung f2380 I linked to for £230 and a few pence at ebuyer (I linked to it) and my job is done, you get good colour range and its a samsung (can't go wrong with them in my view - I'm using 2 of them).
Don't assume an old monitor is any worse than a new one, most of the improvements have just brought down costs :)

well it was a budget monitor at the time, most importantly I want/need something to take up less space as this is a CRT

Back