What to do for clients that need "editable" documents

lawtzdesign

Hi all

A question that has troubled me for a while.

In this instance, I have a client who is a personal trainer. I have created some branding for him, and have designed some layouts for his diet plans and work out plans etc, but he needs to be able to edit them himself so they are tailored for each client.

So now, I have this lovely design (in indesign), and the question is, what is the best way forward as like most clients his only has the basic packages like word, publisher, powerpoint.

Initially I have turned by designs into jpgs, placed them on master pages of a publisher document and then set up some text boxes where he can insert his own text as necessary. Its not ideal (especially as they are stuck on Microsoft 2007 software).

Is there a better way? He will be creating PDFs from them for his clients. I just want to make it as simple as possible for him.

Thank you

You can make editable PDF's....

Thanks Levi
I have looked at this route (I presume you mean an interactive pdf form like this attached - super rough), but then I think the styling is limited? ie, he cannot then bold text etc?

S

Attachments

• Grover Test1.pdf
    457.5 KB · Views: 4
you can change individual cells but as far as I know you can't change on the fly inside a cell.

You can do Form Filling in PDFs but it's not super or anything.

Mostly people are not going to learn InDesign and buying it would be a waste of money.

Typically the best thing to do is design it in Publisher or Word or whatever they have got.

Hey I designed a well known brand of cars handbook in MS Publisher for a client who supplied everything in MS Publisher and wanted it returned in full in MS Publisher.

Turns out MS Publisher is an ok tool. I created the whole thing in Publisher and something like 250,000 of them were printed and you'd never know they were done in Publisher.

Hey I designed a well known brand of cars handbook in MS Publisher for a client who supplied everything in MS Publisher and wanted it returned in full in MS Publisher.

Turns out MS Publisher is an ok tool. I created the whole thing in Publisher and something like 250,000 of them were printed and you'd never know they were done in Publisher.
This is how I knock out quick pieces of work for my Mum when she wants something 'editable' for use by her at the school she works at. It all depends on how complicated the work is in all honesty whether it's the better option.

you can create a pdf from indesign (select interactive for pdf), leaving it blank where they will do their bits - then, create a form in the pdf in acrobat, send it to yourself a couple of times until its right - however, he will likely need a decent version of acrobat to be able to use it. Ive had success

Back