Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Mohammad, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Mohammad

Mohammad Guest

So I'm thinking of buying a laptop but don't really know which one to buy... Please don't say Macbook because thats way off my budget which is £500/600.. It should be pretty decent and should be able to handle Photoshop well.. I'm thinking of getting something which has got an i5 processor in it but I think it may cost me bit more than my budget..

2. TomStutt

TomStutt Senior Member

Toshibas are usually pretty reliable. I work for Bristol Uni and that is what we buy.
  3. Mohammad

Mohammad Guest

Yea people were telling me that aswell.. Just saw the Dell website and I can get a laptop with an i7 processor for £620! - link
  4. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Get a second hand MacBook Pro or Mac Book.
  5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

which is great until you take it away from a mains supply. Battery life is around 1-2 hour.

Personally I'm waiting on apple to see what they release next (they will soon its more performance for the same power draw) and then if its no good I'm going with a 14" asus which has upto 12 hours battery if the price isn't stupid :)
  6. Mohammad

Mohammad Guest

Where does it say that?
  7. Thewholehogg

which is great until you start having bother with Windows.
  8. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

In levi's head of knowledge. Not to mention the heating issues I'm positive a dell quad core would have.

It seems odd to buy a "high spec" laptop with a new high spec desktop. It would make more sense in my mind to get one with super long battery life or portability (or both? MBP 13" anyone? )
  9. Thewholehogg

It's a long time till Christmas. MBP please Santy.

Maybe try and win one in a logo competition ....just an idea.
  10. Becky

Becky Member

I have that laptop (with a few customisations) and it's not bad for the money. Easily runs the Adobe Suite and isn't too big to lug around. (plus it's purple!) Reliable enough, haven't had any problems with it since I've had it.... plus it frees up my main machine so my boyfriend can use it lol

I have a high spec PC and the above laptop :( I'd love a mac but a) can't play games on a mac b) my boyfriend steals my PC (to play games on). c) I can create the same work on a PC that I would on a mac d) my student ed. of CS4 is a windows version :p e) I need a new car f) I do want a mac and miss using one errrr I'll stop now :D

I've not had any overheating on the laptop, but I do run it with a Belkin cooling thinger (technical term) Even when I don't use that it isn't unusually warm (did I mention it's purple?!)

Of course, it's no MBP, but it does the job well enough that I can take it to people, play the odd game, do all my work and not have to get angry at the ther half for stealing my decent machine :p
  11. Mohammad

Mohammad Guest

Oh ok, yea I think it's odd aswell but I already have a Eee PC which has long battery life but it can't handle Photoshop so was thinking I should get a laptop which can handle Photoshop and other programs well and instead of getting a low spec one (core 2 duo or something) I might aswell get one which has good spec (i5 or i7).. My HP Dv2500 Laptop is in it's last breath (which is like a family computer because I don't let anyone use my desktop) and if that dies then everyone will be using my desktop.. There seems to be some good deals around and I don't know if it will get any lower soon.. :confused:
  12. Becky

Becky Member

Why are you using the USA site? :p thing s with Dell they have random deals. I got lucky with mine. Upgraded to the higher spec screen and backlit keyboard and got an extra gig of ram, larger hdd and free colour upgrade.

They're just a bit random with their deals. It did arrive within a week though which was nice :D
  13. Mohammad

Mohammad Guest

Oh lol.. let me see if the same deal is on the UK site..Oh you must have been really lucky :up:
  14. Levi

it's called speaking to the tech people at dell :rolleyes:
  15. Mohammad

Mohammad Guest

Oh yea just remembered, there's some kinda poster design competition going on in 99designs, teh prize is a Wacom Intuos4 medium pen tablet ($349 value) + $250 here's the link if anyone wants to see the designs. I entered but got kicked out lol :)
  16. Mohammad

Mohammad Guest

Money isn't a problem I just don't want to spend too much..
  17. tim

tim Senior Member

that sounds like a problem.
  18. Levi

yep I'd agree on that one.
  19. charles

charles Senior Member

photoshop will run decently on anything upward of a centrino processor or higher end p4's (amd not too sure on notebooks?).

I had cs4 flash and photoshop working nicely on my old 1.7 ghz single core centrino with two gig of ram.

a core i7 in a laptop is too extreme as you lose the purpose of it being a laptop - portability as battery life would be shocking (as mentioned above).

If I was you, I would buy a new hard drive for your HP Dv2500 and reinstall windows and upgrade the ram as it would handle cs4 with no problems at all, then wait a few months, save some money and buy a mbp alternatlively sell your HP Dv2500 on ebay for about £150 and add that towards buying a mbp
  20. Harry

Harry Senior Member

F*cking lol!