Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this Logo type?

Discussion in 'Logo Design & Brand Identity Forum:' started by Jonathan_Matthews, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Jonathan_Matthews

Jonathan_Matthews New Member

This debate came up in college, is this logo type:
    type as type or pictoral type?

I say; type as type... Opinion?

classic_fm_62833.jpg

2. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Not entirely sure about the semantic distinction between the two but it's clearly designed to represent the f-hole you find on voilins, cellos, basses, etc.

3. spottypenguin

spottypenguin Active Member

Although I can see the debate in that one, I would have to say that the 'f' has been drawn (as Dave says) therefore it counts as pictoral even though it's representing text.

4. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Could be classified as either. I'm sure there is a typeface out there that has an 'F' that looks like that. I'd say its pictorial type though, for the same reasons mentioned above.

5. gprovan

gprovan Member

I would say it's a mix of both, although I agree that it really comes down to semantics.

6. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

...I'm sure I just used to get drunk...

7. NUGFX

NUGFX Member

id say type and as arrivals said im sure there is a font for the F it doesnt look drawn to me

8. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

I think that what you've got here is basically a typographical pun: this particular letter F has been chosen because it looks like an F-hole, which is so named because it looks like a letter F - it is typographical but the decision to use this particular character has been taken for pictorial reasons.

9. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

There you have it. :icon_notworthy:

10. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

...I vaguely remember doing just that...