What is the meaning of DIY

Hello, I have seen a term on many blogs about photography or Design where they used DIY. But I don't know what is this mean. Can anyone tell please?

Percisely - DIY is an abbreviation for Do it Yourself. Basically means, doing it yourself without the aid of a professional person to do the work for you. Like painting a house, or making a table, decorating your house, etc.

Other abbrevations on this line would be GIY - Garden it Yourself!

Other abbrevations for non-English speakers that may be helpful:

R.S.V.P.
French phrase for: "Répondez s'il vous plaît", translates as "respond, if you please".
Commonly used on invitation cards. When you receive this inviation with RSVP they are asking that you reply to the invitation indicating if you accept or decline.

ESL / EFL (same thing)
ESL = English as a second language.
or
EFL = English as a foreign language.

ESOL
English for speakers of other languages
and
TESOL
Teaching English to speakers of other languages.

ASAP
or A.S.A.P. = "as soon as possible". We you use this abbreviation if something is required quickly: "RSVP to this email ASAP."

BTW
By the Way - we use this to indicate that we are indicating something addtional, "Please find attached the updated proof, BTW we spotted a slight error on page 3, which we have corrected, please let me know if it's ok."

B.Y.O.B.
B.Y.O.B. or (BYOB) seen on invites to parties. It stands for "bring your own beer/bottle/booze"; you are invited to a party, but you should bring your own drinks. Example, "We're having drinks next Saturday, please RSVP and BTW it's BYOB.".

ETA
Used for "estimated time of arrival". To estimate when you will arrive, or when a plane/train etc. is expected to arrive in a place. "We are in the taxi on the way over and Google maps tells me that the ETA is 15 minutes."

ETD
Estimated time of Departure - this is used the opposite of the above "Our ETD for the meeting today is approx 11.30am, we hope to be there at ETA 1.30pm."

P.S.
P.S or PS means "post script" and is used at the end of written letters to add extra information. Litterally, 'post' means after and 'script' being text just written.
"Dear Elijah,
I hope this letter finds you well. We have many overgrown beets in the farm this year and are estimating that our profits will be larger this year.

Kind regards
Benjamin

P.s. Tell father that the milk from the cow is fresher due to the early summer and fresh grass this season."

i.e. / e.g.
I.e. means "id est". It's from Latin and the translation means "That is (to say)" or "in other words".
"I cannot answer this question without a lawyer present, i.e., I cannot answer this question on legal grounds that it may incriminate me and I would like to consult a lawyer to ensure I won't get in trouble."

e.g. It's from Latin and the translation means for "exempli gratia" (Latin for "for example").
"I have attached your proof and I found a few errors throughout, e.g., the spelling is inconsistent for the product on page 3, 5, 7. Can you please let me know if which is correct? I have also found other spelling errors."

Plenty of other English abbreviations out there - but hopefully they help :)

Percisely - DIY is an abbreviation for Do it Yourself. Basically means, doing it yourself without the aid of a professional person to do the work for you. Like painting a house, or making a table, decorating your house, etc.

Other abbrevations on this line would be GIY - Garden it Yourself!

Other abbrevations for non-English speakers that may be helpful:

R.S.V.P.
French phrase for: "Répondez s'il vous plaît", translates as "respond, if you please".
Commonly used on invitation cards. When you receive this inviation with RSVP they are asking that you reply to the invitation indicating if you accept or decline.

ESL / EFL (same thing)
ESL = English as a second language.
or
EFL = English as a foreign language.

ESOL
English for speakers of other languages
and
TESOL
Teaching English to speakers of other languages.

ASAP
or A.S.A.P. = "as soon as possible". We you use this abbreviation if something is required quickly: "RSVP to this email ASAP."

BTW
By the Way - we use this to indicate that we are indicating something addtional, "Please find attached the updated proof, BTW we spotted a slight error on page 3, which we have corrected, please let me know if it's ok."

B.Y.O.B.
B.Y.O.B. or (BYOB) seen on invites to parties. It stands for "bring your own beer/bottle/booze"; you are invited to a party, but you should bring your own drinks. Example, "We're having drinks next Saturday, please RSVP and BTW it's BYOB.".

ETA
Used for "estimated time of arrival". To estimate when you will arrive, or when a plane/train etc. is expected to arrive in a place. "We are in the taxi on the way over and Google maps tells me that the ETA is 15 minutes."

ETD
Estimated time of Departure - this is used the opposite of the above "Our ETD for the meeting today is approx 11.30am, we hope to be there at ETA 1.30pm."

P.S.
P.S or PS means "post script" and is used at the end of written letters to add extra information. Litterally, 'post' means after and 'script' being text just written.
"Dear Elijah,
I hope this letter finds you well. We have many overgrown beets in the farm this year and are estimating that our profits will be larger this year.

Kind regards
Benjamin

P.s. Tell father that the milk from the cow is fresher due to the early summer and fresh grass this season."

i.e. / e.g.
I.e. means "id est". It's from Latin and the translation means "That is (to say)" or "in other words".
"I cannot answer this question without a lawyer present, i.e., I cannot answer this question on legal grounds that it may incriminate me and I would like to consult a lawyer to ensure I won't get in trouble."

e.g. It's from Latin and the translation means for "exempli gratia" (Latin for "for example").
"I have attached your proof and I found a few errors throughout, e.g., the spelling is inconsistent for the product on page 3, 5, 7. Can you please let me know if which is correct? I have also found other spelling errors."

Plenty of other English abbreviations out there - but hopefully they help :)
This is a bonus reply. I was asked just one, got bonus many. Thank you so much. :)

DIY means that, instead of hiring a professional to do a particular task or, instead of buying goods from a store or an artisan you're choosing to do that task or create those products yourself with no direct help from an expert. That doesn't mean you can't turn to resources for help if you use a YouTube tutorial, or a book or blog post to find directions or get your project on the right track, it still counts as doing it yourself. DIY is really about you seeking out the knowledge and developing the skills you need to do something that you would normally pay someone else to do for you.

Back