What is the difference between a Multimedia Designer and a UX/UI Designer?

cc1086

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum but I am trying to write a blog for school about the similarities and differences between a Multimedia Designer and a UX/UI designer.

I know that a UX/UI designer mostly focuses on apps and web, doesn't a Multimedia Designer also do this as well to some extent?

Literally googled it.

User interface design
Description
User interface design or user interface engineering is the design of user interfaces for machines and software, such as computers, home appliances, mobile devices, and other electronic devices, with the focus on maximizing usability and the user experience.

Multimedia Designer
Featured snippet from the web
Multimedia designers create visual effects that excite, explain, and entertain. Multimedia designers may work in the entertainment industry, creating special effects for movies, television, and video games. ... Multimedia Designers: Designing interactive experiences.

I know that a UX/UI designer mostly focuses on apps and web
No they don’t. Most of their work has nothing to do with apps and the web.

For example, they will work on the instruments of a car, game controllers, ovens and smart fridges, your TV controller, anything with a switch or knob, kitchens and bathrooms and so on.

Literally googled it.

User interface design
Description
User interface design or user interface engineering is the design of user interfaces for machines and software, such as computers, home appliances, mobile devices, and other electronic devices, with the focus on maximizing usability and the user experience.

Multimedia Designer
Featured snippet from the web
Multimedia designers create visual effects that excite, explain, and entertain. Multimedia designers may work in the entertainment industry, creating special effects for movies, television, and video games. ... Multimedia Designers: Designing interactive experiences.
But Multimedia Designers also do interactive content.

No they don’t. Most of their work has nothing to do with apps and the web.

For example, they will work on the instruments of a car, game controllers, ovens and smart fridges, your TV controller, anything with a switch or knob, kitchens and bathrooms and so on.

In theory, you are correct but in reality apps and websites are the common duties of someone who is a UX/UI designer by profession. It is at most very rare to find a person who is a UX/UI designer and isn't employed by a company that does digital types of content.

Tell that to the manufacturing industry. They employ hundreds of them. Not always with that job title but the role is the same.

If you are going to write a blog you need to cover all aspects of the topic.

In the same way multimedia is used extensively in the TV and film industry.

Back