What Is Scandinavian Graphic Design to You?

Monokrome

Hello, I'm Gisela from Sweden. I’m conducting a study on how Scandinavian graphic design is perceived by graphic designers around the globe for my thesis paper. And I was hoping that some of you might want to participate. Your answers will be stored in a spreadsheet and used to make generalizations on Scandinavian graphic design together with the answers from other participants, but they may also be used as quotes. You can choose to be anonymous, and skip questions you are not comfortable with. If you would like to see the result of the study, I can message it to you or post it here. If you'd like more information, write so down below and I can express the study in further detail in a message for you.

The questions are as follows:
Would you like to be anonymous for this study?

How many years of experience (studies, work, etc.) in graphic design do you have?

Which country are you from?

How would you describe Scandinavian graphic design and how is this demonstrated in the style?

What comes to your mind when speaking of Scandinavian graphic design in regards to:
a) Colors?

b) Fonts?

c) Layout?

d) Motifs?

e) Use of photos vs. illustrations?

How does the Scandinavian graphic design style differentiate from the style you can see in your country?

How much impact do you believe Scandinavian graphic design has had on graphic design?

Would you like to receive the finished paper/results?​

Scandinavia has it's own individual graphic design.... I thought it was furniture they were known for and.... meatballs (ikea supposedly sells a LOT of these)....

For the record I do not just associate ikea furniture as Scandinavian, there's a fair few designers who were around long before them.

Scandinavia has it's own individual graphic design.... I thought it was furniture they were known for and.... meatballs (ikea supposedly sells a LOT of these)....

For the record I do not just associate ikea furniture as Scandinavian, there's a fair few designers who were around long before them.

Haha, well the meatballs and industrial design such as furniture and products are usually what first springs to mind. That's why I believe it would be interesting to know if there is such a thing as a distinct Scandinavian graphic design style in the first place. Especially when a lot of Scandinavian graphic designers are moving abroad for jobs and/or studies, and how their works might be received in foreign countries. Scandinavian design bureaus have won several categories at competitions like Cannes Lions, HOW International, etc. which tells me that they are in the game to compete with the rest of the major graphic design countries.

I suppose if I think hard about what designs I see more from Scandinavian graphic designers and artists I would have to say gothic/emo 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' style (can't think of a term) and maybe more of the 'ink wash' type like sigur ros album covers.
It might be down to the younger 'scene' where it seems (from my viewpoint at least) that gothic style seems quite popular, even music seems to be along this vein with symphonic metal being a lot more popular than it is in the UK and pretty much anywhere else in Europe outside of maybe Germany lol (I like symphonic metal by the way :))

Back