Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is jquery's issue!?!

Discussion in 'Website Coding & Programming Forum:' started by bigdave, Nov 21, 2014.

1. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I'm working on a site which is a kind of hash up of the old site, integrating a new layout. There's so much going on in the header it's hard to work out what's what but I have noticed it's calling 3 different versions of the jQuery library.

Assuming this was because of updates to the site and previous developers being careless, I removed all but the most up to date link & refreshed the page. This broke it!!

After much tinkering I discovered that unless I have all instances included, something stops working. What's more, if the links are in any other order, they don't work!?

WTF is going in!!?!!
  2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Shot in the dark – the JQuery code wasn't written properly and thus doesn't work with newer versions. Rather than fix the problem, the developer just kept the older versions?

You might want to look at JQ's noConflict() function if you're having conflict problems – Using multiple versions of jQuery on the same page | web enavu
  3. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

There are good chunks of code written into noConflict(). Ironically, adding more causes conflicts. lol

The whole site is being redeveloped in the new year so I think I'm just going to put up with the horrendous code for the time being.
  4. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Bloody amateurs. :icon_biggrin: