What inspired you to get into film making/animation?

M

Matt Harle

Somewhere down the line, we've all been inspired to do what we do, whether it be a certain film, tv series, director or writer. So, what inspired you, and light that spark inside of you? For me, it was Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies. Well, more accurately 1 and 2. 3 just didn't happen, ok?
They're two of my favourite films, and when I first saw them, they blew me away. I'd never seen anything quite like them before. The size and scale of them was amazing, especially some of the web swinging scenes. They made me want to be involved with that industry, to tell stories, and to make films just like it.
So, your turn. What inspired you, and why?

I've went through swings and roundabouts with design.

At first, I was a little computer geek, making sci-fi art in Photoshop in my bedroom. That lead me onto a college course where I was in love with Dave McKean and his collage style of illustration. That fizzled out while I was in my final year and I started to get into Tado and Peskimo and cute little character design.
After I left college and went to Uni, we got made to look at "real design". The masters. Paul Rand etc etc. Enjoyed that but then wanted to get into title sequences and animation. Main influences being Tim Burton, but really loved the opening sequence for Six Feet Under.

Again, that lead onto other things. I got more interested in general animation, animating for films etc, but it never really went to far. Just the two videos I've posted up on here.
Once I left Uni, I got heavily into branding and web design, influenced by David Airey, The Partners etc. I'm a mind changer and like to have a dabble in anything I fancy. However, for now, web and branding design is how I'm making my living!

Tony Hardy said:
I've went through swings and roundabouts with design.

At first, I was a little computer geek, making sci-fi art in Photoshop in my bedroom. That lead me onto a college course where I was in love with Dave McKean and his collage style of illustration. That fizzled out while I was in my final year and I started to get into Tado and Peskimo and cute little character design.
After I left college and went to Uni, we got made to look at "real design". The masters. Paul Rand etc etc. Enjoyed that but then wanted to get into title sequences and animation. Main influences being Tim Burton, but really loved the opening sequence for Six Feet Under.

Again, that lead onto other things. I got more interested in general animation, animating for films etc, but it never really went to far. Just the two videos I've posted up on here.
Once I left Uni, I got heavily into branding and web design, influenced by David Airey, The Partners etc. I'm a mind changer and like to have a dabble in anything I fancy. However, for now, web and branding design is how I'm making my living!
That's a lot of inspiration! How much of an effect did they have on the work that you've done?

I think doing the animation stuff gave me a good grounding in a lot things. Lateral thinking, problem solving etc. A lot of the skills could be extrapolated.

As far as artists having a direct influence on my work, I think not so much anymore. I mean, I don't aspire to be like anyone, but I guess the influence is always going to be there.
In the start, the Burton influence was there, but that fizzled out. Not exactly appropriate for logo design and branding (unless you'r branding a circus or horror styled theme park).

I'm with you on the aspiration thing. Getting a bit philosophical here, but why should you aspire to be someone else, when you're already you?

Yeah, Burton influence wouldn't work most of the time. And I think some of it is a bit overdone sometimes.

When I was little I’d be drawing all the time, varying from redrawing pictures from the various children’s books to attempting to draw Henry VIII for the front cover of my Tudor project. It was always fun for me to do and the impressed comments from teachers and classmates were a big help as well admittedly! :lol:

Then it was a case of creating various daft stories and characters, trying to breathe life into them and see what makes them tick. No doubt like many of us on here I loved watching cartoons and animated features of all sorts. Once I found out that animating could be a job, I was all over it! Not to mention illustrating, caricaturing, comic art, concept art, character designing, storyboarding...

I’m inspired by various things, sometimes other artists and illustrators with their amazing concepts and ideas and sometimes just by two pigeons dragging a pizza across the street. Funnily enough Dave McKean was mentioned there and I remember researching him for a Photography project back in sixth form. I had to do some artistic photo-manipulation type stuff, which was a load of fun. I was proud of them at the time but I dread to look at them now :wacko:

Anyway, drifting from the subject! I found drawing to be fun, I realised I could make people interested in the characters and therefore I want to make a job out of it :) Pretty much a basic sum up there!

Emmature said:
When I was little I’d be drawing all the time, varying from redrawing pictures from the various children’s books to attempting to draw Henry VIII for the front cover of my Tudor project. It was always fun for me to do and the impressed comments from teachers and classmates were a big help as well admittedly! :lol:

Then it was a case of creating various daft stories and characters, trying to breathe life into them and see what makes them tick. No doubt like many of us on here I loved watching cartoons and animated features of all sorts. Once I found out that animating could be a job, I was all over it! Not to mention illustrating, caricaturing, comic art, concept art, character designing, storyboarding...

I’m inspired by various things, sometimes other artists and illustrators with their amazing concepts and ideas and sometimes just by two pigeons dragging a pizza across the street. Funnily enough Dave McKean was mentioned there and I remember researching him for a Photography project back in sixth form. I had to do some artistic photo-manipulation type stuff, which was a load of fun. I was proud of them at the time but I dread to look at them now :wacko:

Anyway, drifting from the subject! I found drawing to be fun, I realised I could make people interested in the characters and therefore I want to make a job out of it :) Pretty much a basic sum up there!
Some very interesting stories! Inspiration really can come from anywhere, when you least expect it!

Matt Harle said:
Some very interesting stories! Inspiration really can come from anywhere, when you least expect it!
It really can! I very often find myself wanting to draw whenever I hear various music. Owl City is doing wonders for working on the concept for Crumbs right now :)

Tony Hardy said:
What is Crumbs? :)
Crumbs is my pigeon based webcomic that I'm producing for college. I'm still at the concept and design stage at the moment. I'm hoping to have it live this summer!

Emmature said:
Crumbs is my pigeon based webcomic that I'm producing for college. I'm still at the concept and design stage at the moment. I'm hoping to have it live this summer!
Give us updates on it when you can!

Hi, Matt!
I got inspired through my tribute films i did to 1980's classic Children's TV show No.73! and also Postman Pat, Huxley Pig, Edward and Friends (Lego Fabuland)!
I wanted to try something different, i love the fact that i created, 'Zey The Mouse', which i'm making into Episodes! which include friendly Fimo animal Characters!!
Ian :)

hardingproductions said:
Hi, Matt!
I got inspired through my tribute films i did to 1980's classic Children's TV show No.73! and also Postman Pat, Huxley Pig, Edward and Friends (Lego Fabuland)!
I wanted to try something different, i love the fact that i created, 'Zey The Mouse', which i'm making into Episodes! which include friendly Fimo animal Characters!!
Ian :)
Hi Ian, nice to meet you! Do you have any of your stuff online?

Back